HELP!!! Copepod amphipod ASAP

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

440sixpack

Just got a Green Mandarin and six line wrasse and have some pods in the tank but not many is there anyway to make more of them or like idk breed em or anything so there are more pods???? NEED HELP ASAP

Thanks

How big is your tank? Is it established? Do you have a refugium? Unfortunately both the six line and mandarin are pod eaters. Sometimes you can get mandarins to eat mysis/brine shrimp or pellets by target feeding.

Good luck!

The tank is a 54gal bowfront and i was set up but just got moved a week ago and re set up... i dont have a fuge i have a sump but no room in it to even make a fuge since its too small.. what do you mean by target feeding??

Why did you get those knowing they need pods when you dont have them? Adopted them?

I think there you can get pods from SWC but it isnt going to last you Im guessing

Well without a fuge I dont know if you will be able to breed them fast enough to keep both fed but I really am not sure maybe someone else can give ya some more help.

Reef nutrition sells different types of pods. I actually met the owner at our clubs fund raiser and actually seen and brought his product . Some of the LFS in my area are now carrying them. http://www.reefnutrition.com/

The problem with not having a refugium is that the Pods don't have a sanctuary which to breed and be left alone. I seem to have mostly amphipods not copepods in my tank. These "pods" get sucked through my return pump and into my main tank when they get over populated most survive, they also can be found in my tank overflows (AGA reef ready tank) and they probably come out at night.
A fuge doesn't have to be big just a clump of cheato in the sump will work. it will catch food particles to feed the pods and the pods will breed in it.

my Mandarin and Copperband butterfly seeks Pods all the time BUT they eat all types of frozen foods. their favorite seems to be Harkari frozen Blood worms :) try different frozen foods like Mysis shrimp, brine and of course Bloodworms. Always rinse before putting it in your tank this is to eliminate Phosphate which frozen food is loaded with.
HTH
chuck

Last edited:
I have to agree with Herefishyfishy, the Mandarin really should go back until your tank is well established with pods. Some people who are without a fuge, get rubble and put it in the back corners of their reefs so that the pods have a place to grow without being depleted before they get started. I really would consider establishing a fuge separate to your sump. That is what I did and I just have a 30 gallon fuge dedicated to growing out the pods. It isn't hard and will also improve your water quality a bit as you should have lots of macroalgae in it (Cheto) and plump it into your sump.

You really need to see lots of pods on the glass before you can begin to think you are ready to obtain "podivores - like a mandarin or wrasse". Oh, I use "Piece-of-the-Reef" and ordered a few thousand pods to get my fuge seeded.

Take the mandarin back to the store, your tank is not yet a suitable home.

I have to agree with what was said here. You can always buy these fish again when you have the proper environment for them. After I set up my refrigum, my mandrian quickly started putting on weight, and is now a little piggy, but prior to that I was getting worried. Plus the added benefit of the chaeto is great. I think CPR makes a small in tank refrigum, or there is always the hang on versions as well. Here are some links. Good luck.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~miscellaneous_cpr_citr_in-tank_refugium.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~miscellaneous_cpr_aquafuge_refugiums.html

Pods are easily cultured if you want to go through the work. Something to think about if you dont want to return the fish.

Don

I agree with the others that you are not ready for these pod eaters without a refugium. Additionally a 54 gal will probably only be able to support 1 pod eater and the wrasse is going to out compete the mandarin for the pods.

Another option is to take the mandarin out of the display and isolate it in a QT and train it to take food other that pods. This thread provides information on training fish to take prepared foods http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=325308#post325308

Live pods are not only easily cultured they are readily available at any good reef store. You don't need to take the fish back if it's the fish you want. Buying copepods can get quite expensive but if you have a smaller tank you should be able to grow your own. Quoting Herefishfishy, as with anything you put into your tank, "Ya pays yer moneys an ya takes yer chances." Get the livestock you want and give it the best chance to live that you can because as we all know this is a labor of love.

Back