Help!!! external parasite on my saltwater fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

danny240

I have a 240 gallon reef tank what can I do to get rid of flukes on the side of my fish without medication to my tank. The tank is to big to catch the fish and trap them to quarantine them. Can I drop the selinity to a lower level safely with harming my corals? if so would this get rid of the flukes?

id say negative......

the point of the qt is 2 remove/kill/starve the bad stuff...

i dont know what you consiter to be low salinity, but i know to low, will be harder on corals then inverts and fish..

Welocme to RF!! :) Sorry to hear about your troubles...I agree that lowering the salinty is not a great idea. Too much at risk with doing it. Your best bet IMO would be to try your best to catch the fish and isolate him in a different tank to treat. You may have to make/buy a trap if he is too hard to catch, but I wouldn't risk lowering the salinity in your main tank to treat the fish. Just a thought...Hope you get it all sorted out soon:)

thanks alot I was afraid that you would say that. I did not notice them until I recently done some work on my aquarium and they started showing up after that must have stressed the fish.

Back