Help Foxface in trouble

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ToLearn

Dark spots appearing, super skinny, certainly has internal parasite

CAN'T POST IMAGES, WILL COME BACK AFTER I make some random posts around the forum.

There has not been anything external on the fish until this morning. Dark spots now. Any idea what it could be?

Feed frequent, water change frequent. He eats a lot and no filtration such as carbon or skimmer present in this 30g qt tank.

The tank has been set up and stable with corals for at least 5 months, likely longer.

Bought the fish on 5/3, a little over a month ago now. Has been eating very well. A yellow eye tang died in the tank about 2 weeks ago. I suspect there may be flukes.

The fish and tank have not been treated with anything yet. I am setting up a new QT tank to be fishless with water and sponge from a cycled established display tank. It will have low flow power head, heating element, and a temperature and pH probe from a controller. I plan to dip the fish in fresh water/myth blue and move it into the tank and see if I can get it to eat food soaked in prazi pro. If it won't eat with in 6 hours I will treat the whole tank for internal parasites according to the bottle. I also plan to head out in a moment and see if I can find Jungle's anti parasite food.

Any other suggestions/advice? Would you dip it with something different or run something like copper in the new tank? I have performed hyposalinity treatments sucsessfully in the past many times, but this does not appear to be crypto.

Please help.

Ok, I made random posts so I can post images now.

FoxFace1.png

FoxFace2.png

It does have a fluke infection appearance. Best to quarantine new acquisitions so they don't bring such things into your DT.

The usual LFS fluke treatments will work, if the fish isn't too far gone. Flukes move fastest on fishes that are extra stressed. You may assume there is a water quality issue, an environment issue, lack of proper nutrition (despite the fish is eating), another stressor (like space) at work, or any combo of the above.

Move fish to quarantine and do the fluke treatment. Then, alter your procedures on new acquisitions to avoid the losses in the future. Good luck! :whoo:

Sorry, didn't realize my previous post was unclear. You want to go to your LFS and get a medication for marine fishes infected with flukes. Follow it's directions.
:biggrin:

Back