Help help I"ve got bubbles on red alge on my rocks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bottom feeder

I"ve got lots of bubbles on my rocks with red alge on them. Just wondering if anyone had any input or addvise on this.Thanks:D

Does it look like a carpet? I'm starting to get this on my sand bed. I remove it along with the sand that is stuck to it. I believe that mine is from Phos. I use ro water but it is reading trace phos. of just less of .05. What is your phos. level?

I'd recommend taking the rocks out and scrubbing them really good to get rid of the bulk of your problem. then to keep the red algae from forming cut down on your nutrient levels and increase your flow. for the bubble algae maintanence, a couple emerald crabs should do the trick.

looks like red cyano. Water changes and the above mentioned rock scrubbing to remove excess should do the trick.

Thanks all.I did a 30 water change today so maybe with some scrubbing it will clear up.Is this stuff bad for my reef or more so just an eye sore?

You don't have to remove the rock. Just siphon the stuff out, it is a form of nutrient export. What you really need to do is find out where your excess nutrients are coming from. We don't have to panic here for gosh sakes.

You don't have to remove the rock. Just siphon the stuff out, it is a form of nutrient export. What you really need to do is find out where your excess nutrients are coming from. We don't have to panic here for gosh sakes.

What he said ^^^^, siphon off rocks, increase flow if possible, make sure skimmer is working good. Maybe back off your feeding to.

Last edited:
we JUST went through this. I couldn't get enough of the big rock out to make a difference so after 2 weeks of fighting it with a turkey baster, and faucet syphon...we went w/ chemi-clean. worked like a champ. Be sure to follow the directions though or your skimmer will go NUTS.

Back