Help identifying items growing on LR

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks like you have quite a bit of different algaes growing in there (possibly quite a few nuicance algaes). Arrow 1 pic 45 looks like Padina. Here is a thread showing it ID'd by Curt on post #4 in its mature state. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12108 I'm personally not that great with ID's especially the different "algae's", but Boomer, Curt and Nikki are pretty sharp so hopefully they will chime in along with the others soon:)

the last pic looks like Halimeda..or "money plant"...BTW, nice avatar!!!

arrow 1 on pic 52 are those spiral tube worms, they're good to have.

Ron, thanks! I used to have a PBT but lost him about 2 weeks ago. Darn LFS shouldn't have sold it to me, not with such a new tank and inexperience! Ultimately my fault though. Didn't realize how difficult to keep until afterwards when I started having problem and began researching. He was at least 7 inches long, if not bigger! Not to mention, I didn't have the right setup. LFS steered me wrong but Krish, Ronj, Bob D, & Herefishyfishy are getting me straight in another thread.

-Dennis

View attachment 17218

View attachment 17219

Pathetic, huh?

Pathetic, huh?

No man!! Your tank looks great! It will all come together in time as well. Atleast you are on the right track now and you will start enjoying the hobby more and more as you are able to add more things to your tank and have them thrive really well:)

arrow 1 on pic 52 are those spiral tube worms, they're good to have.

The white specks on the heater are spiral tube worms? Or were you refering to the green tube looking things near arrow 1 on pic 43?

Is Halimeda or "money plant" good to have?

Thanks,
Dennis

The white specks on the heater are spiral tube worms? Or were you refering to the green tube looking things near arrow 1 on pic 43?

The white sprial things on the heater and glass that have a calcium carbonate shell are harmless spirorbid polychaetes. Like Zenn said, they are featherdusters and are good.

HERE'S A MACRO PICTURE OF THEM
spirorbid.jpg

HERE'S AN ULTRAMACRO OF THEM
Circeisarmoricana.jpg

The green tube things are a calcareous (pulls Calcium out of the water) macroalgae called Neomeris annulata. This algae is commonly called caterpiller weed and almost always dies out. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start seeing the population explode. Here's what someone in my St. Louis reef club did to their tank by just randomly throwing in Calcium and Alkalinity.
11194new_TANG_W_1.jpg

11194new_tank_in_green.jpg

Don't worry about that happening to your tank. Just test your Calcium and alkalinity and don't add it if it isn't necessary.

Is Halimeda or "money plant" good to have?

In small amounts it's completely harmless and a lot of people like the look. It is also a calcaerous macroalgae.

On picture 43, can you get a closer picture of #2 & 3? I can't see the texture good enough to ID it. Possibly derbesia and bryopsis. (If so, these aren't good).

On picture 41, #2 looks like a sponge and not an algae. On picture 41, #1, how is it attached to the rock. Are there skinny little runners running across the rock with plants coming off of the runners. Or are there simply just various plants located in roughly the same area. If there are runners, it is most likely Caulerpa prolifera (not good). If there aren't runners, it is most likely a species of Ulva which is easily controlled.

Last edited:
Curtswearing said:
On picture 43, can you get a closer picture of #2 & 3? I can't see the texture good enough to ID it. Possibly derbesia and bryopsis. (If so, these aren't good).

In picture 43, arrow 3's object is soft and fluffy; whereas, arrow 2's object is short and firm. Here is a little better picture. What is the best way to remove these if not desirable? Trim and remove? Fluffy one definitely not desirable, doesn't look good.

View attachment 17237

Curtswearing said:
On picture 41, #2 looks like a sponge and not an algae. On picture 41, #1, how is it attached to the rock. Are there skinny little runners running across the rock with plants coming off of the runners. Or are there simply just various plants located in roughly the same area. If there are runners, it is most likely Caulerpa prolifera (not good). If there aren't runners, it is most likely a species of Ulva which is easily controlled.

Yes, there are runners. There are a few places where one plant comes out of the live rock but there is also a place where one big plant comes out with runners. Here are a few pics. What is the best way to tend to these? Trim and remove from tank?

View attachment 17238

View attachment 17239

What about pic 52, arrow 2 with the heater? The way its going, I'm sure that 's another kind of nuisance algae. I thought I saw something about it somewhere but can't seem to find it anymore. Bubble algae of some sort, maybe?

View attachment 17240

Thanks, Curt!

Dennis,

Turn that frown upside down. :D All of us at one time will have to deal with a nuisance algae and they can be beaten.

In picture 43, arrow 3's object is soft and fluffy; whereas, arrow 2's object is short and firm. Here is a little better picture. What is the best way to remove these if not desirable? Trim and remove? Fluffy one definitely not desirable, doesn't look good.

If one is stiff (how I'm reading the word, "Firm") then it might be Cladophora. The exact ID doesn't really matter as you need to handle all 3 species in the same manner. Whatever you do, don't follow someones advice to trim and pull and yank this algae while it is in your tank unless it cannot be avoided. Even then, you must have a siphon running to catch algae that you miss.

Algae's can't run and hide when a predator comes to eat them. They have all designed defenses as a result. Some incorporate Calcium into their leaves like your caterpillar weed and money plant. Others develop secondary metabolites (toxins) like your Caulerpa prolifera. A third defense is fragmentation. (Remember, your pulling and trimming is not different from an herbivore eating an algae). The three mentioned above fragment into small pieces and float in the current when attacked. Anywhere a small fragment attaches will become a new patch of algae.....which is why you shouldn't trim this algae while it's in the tank.

It's easy to solve this problem. The next time you do a waterchange, save the old water in buckets. Put the rock with this hair algae in the bucket and manually pull the algae out in that 'old' water. Then rinse the rock off well with fresh saltwater before returning the rock to the tank. That way, the algae fragments get thrown out with the old water as opposed to floating around the tank.

Yes, there are runners. There are a few places where one plant comes out of the live rock but there is also a place where one big plant comes out with runners. Here are a few pics. What is the best way to tend to these? Trim and remove from tank?

Runners tend to indicate Caulerpa prolifera. Do the same thing with buckets and old water but make sure you are running granular activated carbon when you put that rock back into the tank. Caulerpa's will release toxins into the tank that carbon will remove.

What about pic 52, arrow 2 with the heater? The way its going, I'm sure that 's another kind of nuisance algae. I thought I saw something about it somewhere but can't seem to find it anymore. Bubble algae of some sort, maybe?

That doesn't really look like valonia (bubble algae) to me but I cannot tell from the picture. I would just scrape it off the glass with your fingernail and throw it away. If it stays in one piece, put it in a small dish with some tank water and re-photograph it for a better ID.
[/QUOTE]

Hakunna Matatta Dennis. It means no worries. You'll get through this.

Thanks, Curt...AGAIN...especially for the reassurance! My wife is regretting the tank but I'm enjoying the challenge. I have too much time and money involved to just give up. Not to mention, it's always been a dream of mine to have an awesome looking saltwater aquarium. It'll be a long 2 months listening to my wife complain about the empty tank when I move all of my fish into the QT to solve my Ich problem.

Curtswearing said:
Runners tend to indicate Caulerpa prolifera. Do the same thing with buckets and old water but make sure you are running granular activated carbon when you put that rock back into the tank. Caulerpa's will release toxins into the tank that carbon will remove.

I'm glad I didn't go in there and just start tugging away at the algae, etc. I did that a few weeks ago with the hair algae. That's probably how it spread so quickly. I would have never guessed there would have been any toxins involved too, sneaky bastards.

-Dennis

Last edited:
#41/1 Looks like Caulerpa prolifera, as Curt has stated

# 41/2 You can not tell. It may be a sponge or coral. Need a close-up. I doubt it is a sponge.

# 43/3. It may be Bryopsis but may also be Cyanonbacteria/Blue-Green Algae. Does it look like bird feathers ?

# 43/2 You can not tell from that pic. Need a sharper pic and close-up

# 45/2 Padina sp

# 45/1. Can't tell buy that pic but some kind of red turf algae. But it is a red algae.

# 52/2 may be a bubble algae. Not all bubble algae are Valonia sp

# 53 is Halimeda sp

Last edited:
Back