Help identifying Wrasse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FishGuy30

Anyone who knows wrasse well please help me to identify what kind of fairy wrasse I have. It was sold to me as a red fairy wrasse and I am not sure what kind it is or if its male or female. Body is red with a hinting of blue stripes on the head mouth is yellow as are dorsal and anal fins its underside is white. Sorry no pic having trouble posting one but I can email a pic or text one also welcome to come by and take a look if that's easier. I would love to get this fish a mate and don't just want to shoot in the dark if I can help it.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Could be a McCoskers, Red Tail, Carpenters, Flame, or a Yellow Fin. The flame is the only Fairy Wrasse of the bunch, the rest are Flasher Wrasse. With what you described it sounds more like a Flasher and not a Fairy, but hard to pinpoint it without seeing it. If you go to LiveAquaria. com and got to reef safe wrasses, they show pretty good pictures of wrasses there.

I was looking at Liveaquaria.com and it looks most like the yellowfin flasher wrasse but without the point midway in the dorsal fin could this possibly be a female or still a juvenile that has not gotten big enough yet?

Could be a female but probably not. Females are rare finds in the aquarium trade. It might be a juvenile and hasn't developed the dorsal whip yet. If it is a brilliant color, then it isn't female, they are much more subdued. Without a picture, I am guessing a juvenile.

well my little problem of identifying my wrasse solved itself in an unfortunate manner today. He went after my urchin and would not leave it alone and got him self poisoned to death >.< tho the poison did make his color pop even more and I believe it was a whip fin fairy wrasse. Thanks again for all the input.

well my little problem of identifying my wrasse solved itself in an unfortunate manner today. He went after my urchin and would not leave it alone and got him self poisoned to death >.< tho the poison did make his color pop even more and I believe it was a whip fin fairy wrasse. Thanks again for all the input.

Sorry about your loss, it is just too bad. You just never know what these guys are going to do. My flame tail blenny went after my fighting conch and bit his eyes off. Although he is still alive and still plops around the aquarium, he is doing it blindly, but I don't know how well he really could see anyway.

yea sad day was one of my favorite fish but oh well life happens or in this case death happens. lesson learned

Back