HELP!!! my wrasse has problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

extremecoral

I don't know what happened to my wrasse, yesterday I saw him swimming happily, this morning he did not come out at all, I knew it's strange because since the day I had him, every morning he would swim with others. I found him idling stay at the live rock, no sign of infection... ick whatever.... He did not rapidly breathing too. I assumed one the salinity is too high 1.024ish ???? I lowered it down to 1.021 now according to the lfs. After I downed the salinity there was sign of hope... I saw him moving a little but then when I came back he is still idle. ???? help

i keep my reef at 1.025 or 35ppt so it is not your salinity. what are the params of the tank. this will help diagnose a problem, when was last water change. and what changes have u made to the tank in the last 2 weeks.

i keep my reef at 1.025 or 35ppt so it is not your salinity. what are the params of the tank. this will help diagnose a problem, when was last water change. and what changes have u made to the tank in the last 2 weeks.

I to keep my tank at 1.025, as stated we need more info on tank peram.

This is a friendly fish community I don't do coral. I checked the para everything is fine. Yesterday when I started water change, then until midnight there was a power outage for at least 5 hrs until it was back this morning... then I noticed the wrasse did not swim at all. the other thing is before the wrasse stays idle, my potter angel went missing later on I found him in the back of the rockworks, he only comes out at night when lights are out...then now is my wrasse... seems very strange to me. Other tangs and wrasse do fine, except for these two.

Some fish are more sensitive to changes then others. After every water change my melanarus wrasse will hide in the sand for a day. My eight line couldn't care less.

Having no power to your tank for 5 hours would be my guess. Temp goes down, no circulation, oxygen gets real low, PH drops, All of this happening cant be a good thing!!

Id bet power was the issue also. You can stir your tank with something, like your hand, to get some water movement for gas exchange. Ive done that myself. When i had my 55 and the power would go out, id warm water up and put it in empty milk jugs and place them in the water. Helped to keep the water from dropping. My fish would swim around them.

My hunch is the wrasse jumped (as they normally do) and fortunately returned back into the water. He may be psychologically or physically traumatized from the experience. Assuming he was not seriously hurt, it should take him a few days to get back to normal.

Your previous salinity was fine. Slowly raise it back to 1.025 (NSW) as 1.021 is low. I would advise that you stop taking advice from that LFS ;)

BTW, if he does not recover in 48 hours, you may want to extract him at night and place him in a hospital tank to treat with prazipro. Fish without external symptoms but behaving lethargically can be a sign of internal parasites or flukes. I would read up on quarantine and treatments right now in case you have to do that. But I still think it's likely a case of a "fish out of water" trauma.

Thanks for all the info guys! the wrasse is now swimming happily after 2 days of recovery. I guess it is the power outage. Man, the potter angel is gone, you're right Leonard his skin is completely full of scars I don't even know where his scars come from (no aggressive fish in my tank).

When the lights went out and the current stopped the fish may have been swimming around and bumped into him cause it to race away and into a rock or something causing the damage. I also run my salt at 1.025.

Nice though to hear it's all good so far. Did you look behind your tank on the floor to see if the other fish jumped out?

Back