help on heat

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tjk971

Wow with all of this heat my tank is running in the 90's. I can't afford a chiller was wondering about putting ice in the tank to cool it down. Thanks Tom K

ya just put in ziplock bags or use 2 liter bottles . Also try using some fans across the top of your sump and tank

You can also get a small fan and blow air on moving water. I use to have one sitting on the top of my tank, but you could also run one over your sump. Now I have window AC units so that I get to stay cool with the tank. :)

fans and ice are your best bet just remember not to over do it on the ice or youll get a sudden drop in temp

I usually keep a few 20 ounce bottles frozen and drop one into the tank when the weather gets warmer.

Once I'm done with the bottle back into the freezer it goes. Never had any problems with this and always have a frozen bottle at the ready.

Cheers,
Alex

There are some really good tips in this thread...

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55175

fans and ice (in closed containers) are some great ways to cool things down. If your tank is small enough you can try and put some tank water into the fridge, cool it down pull out the same amount from the tank and replace the water. My boyfriend and I did this last summer, we did five of these "changes" on the tank on the 103 deg. day and didn't loose anything. But that is only really an option on nano tanks. Thank God we only had a 20 gal. Good luck to us all...

You could also look for a window A/C unit.Get a new one or check CL. A lot cheaper than a chiller and you get the benefit of enjoying the cool air as well. Worked for me for the last 4.5 years. I'm also running a chiller now for the last week and with the A/C on, the chiller does not have to work hard at all to keep temps down.

I use a fan and coil a rv water hose in my sump and turn it on on the hot days and keeps my tank cool and grass green

Fans will do quite a bit for you, but you will have to keep on top of keeping the tank "topped off" from increased evaporation that will occur. I ran 5 fans at one time in my canopy alone on my 75 gal tank (2 blowing in cool air and 3 sucking out hot) and 1 blowing on the sump that kept the tank pretty cool, but I had to top off ALOT! The main thing you'd want to do as well is try and keep the temp from fluctuating too drastically too quickly. Start off small and increase as needed. :)

Last edited:
Back