help pls 'South Africa'

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

samier

Hi guys could u pls advise on following as i new to the hobby ,should i allow algae to grow on back glass of tank or not. pls explain the function of a p.skimmer in the tank and how do i get phosphates,nitrites down. Also should i use active carbon and what is the purpose of it.bioballs where should i put it and is it worth having.

That is some good questions, To help you best, I must suggest reading, I'll see if I can post you some links to help you get started, before you go out and spend money, let us help you get a better idea how things work, the key here is pace yourself & don't rush, we can help guide you as you go.

BRB

Actually It has links to most of your questions, from there post here & we'll help explan things as you go, forgot to say that :D

Welcome to Rf samier! Scooter gave you some really good reading material and like he said, any questions after that, I'm sure will get answered here. Glad you have decided to join us here at RF and hope you enjoy your stay here!

Scooterman pointed you to some good links. Just wanted to jump on and Welcome you to Reef Frontiers!!!

Samier, welcome to RF. Its a great site, lots of great info and dont forget all the people that make it great. There is somebody here that knows the answer to any question you may have. This is a great hobby and the learning never stops as long as you have a tank. Great to have you along

Welcome to Reef Frontiers. There are a lot of great resources here so I hope you keep coming back. Keep us posted on your progress and also welcome to the hobby.

Samier: I came across a South African site, sareefkeeping.com, with an active membership and forum. It seems like a good place to find some local resources, expertise and friends to supplement the information from this site. Good luck with your new hobby!

Thanks to all

Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction.
Learnt so much already since i've joined. i have scraped all green algae off,did a water change with ro water used tropic marine salt and have seen some good results. i also used active carbon which was used for four days only, then removed it. water looks soft and clear. i also placed nitrate sponge from kent marine and waiting for it to kick in.
thanks again.

Back