Help removing Ricordias from frag plugs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wizbang

Hello all -

My lovely wife surprised me for Valentine's Day w/2 of the most gorgeous Ricordias (1 florida and 1 yuma)... from PetCo. (In her defense this is her first foray into reef keeping and she had no idea). The problem is that I'm pretty sure that the Ricordias are glued to the HUGE frag plugs they came on. My question is - Is there a safe and non-harmful method for removing the mushroom from the frag plug?

TIA for your assistance.

Don

I always try to cut part of whatever they are on away with the mushroom and glue that down to live rock.
When I remove just the mushroom, it's a pain to get it to attach where I want it.

My wife found me some large stainless toenail cutters at Rite Aid that work pretty good for cutting away rock.

+1 best to keep the mushroom attached to something. Im not a fan of plugs or disks or frags either but sometimes a nessecity or however u spell it. lol
It wont attach like a nem.
If u r gonna take it off try and remove the glue from the plug not the mushroom. If that makes sense?!
-d

You could add the frags to your tank & let them multiply. When they have grown on to surrounding rock, take out the frags & sell / trade / give to another reefer.

Back