HELP! Skimmer Collector broke

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I just dropped my skimmer cup and broke a peice out of the bottom. Fortunately I did a water change this morning, but am concerned that I will not be able to get a new collection cup until mid day tomorrow. Will it be OK? Is there any suggestions out there of what I can do in the mean time? Please any suggestions are welcome. Lots of corals and fish.(will they be alright for 18 hours and no skimming.)

coastalpleasure said:
.(will they be alright for 18 hours and no skimming.)

99.5% sure yes. I run all my tanks skimmerless (*hears sirens of the Skimmer Police*)...and they are fine.

On the collector cup issue, hope you find one soon :)

Best,
Ilham

I think you should be fine myself also. I'd cut back as much as possible on the feeding where possible, to cut down on waste, but other than that you should be fine. The skimmer isn't the only thing keeping things alive in your tank. What type of skimmer do you have anyway? If it is an external skimmer and you are really concerned about the skimmer being off, maybe you can sit it in a container or bucket or something and still run it. Just let it spill over into the container. My skimmer sits externally, but can sit in-sump (which means it can be submerged to a point) so that's what I'd do if it were me with the type of skimmer I have. Just a thought...HTH Bestof luck!

Back