Help! Some of my birdsnests are dying

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrGone

:)
I'm not sure whats happening, two nights ago one birdsnest almost completely bleached itself, it was a hitch hiker on my friends live rock that I've had in my tank for a couple months. Then I noticed tonight another colony of my nicer green birdsnest has started to die, or something. It looks like it is slimmed over and has some stringly slime running off it. I've never seen this before.

I'm not even sure what to test for. Here are some pictures. If I can find a ride I'm going to take a water sample to Barrier. I greatly appreciate any direction you guys can provide!

I know the pictures are not very good and only really show the healthy parts well, but a neighboring colony is almost completely dead and this one has "caught" whatever went wrong. The polyps are retracted and have an ooze over then, and it is kind of stringy. I think my dad is fragging it out right now for me just in case. (I broke my left wrist and right shoulder in a motorcycle accident last week and can't reach into the tank or drive, fun times right? :()

Last edited:
Yes it is really hard to tell in the photo. I know my birdsnest didn't do well until I put it in a high flow area. Is starting to bleach from the inside out? That is what was happening to me and it was suggested that the thick branching action of birdsnest requires a higher flow for movement in the center of it. HTH

blue sierra move from issaquah to renton months ago..

UNTRUTHS!!!!!

they downsized their issaquah location and moved some of their stuff to renton. their store is still there, tony and doris (crazeelady) are still there and very helpful and knowledgeable. They do perform free water tests. So if you cant get a ride down there maybe i can help you as i also live in issaquah

hmmmm...I thought I read that the lease was not going to be renewed..did I misread something??

Perhaps in the future theyre planning on moving? I can ask on my next visit. I go there 2-3 times a week, to bs. Get water, food, look, or try and fill the voids in my equipment.

Regardless the fact remains they are there RIGHT Now ( well not right now they close at 8 during the week i believe) but tomorrow you can go down and get **** tested

I took the coral to Barrier today and Chris helped me out a bunch. Turns out my alkalinity was way low (5dKh). I bought some Brightwell buffering powder and will be raising it over the next few days. I've had a calcium reactor I've been meaning to hook up for months but just haven't had room with my current setup/stand and haven't made the progress I thought I would on my new fish tank room setup.

Yes it is really hard to tell in the photo. I know my birdsnest didn't do well until I put it in a high flow area. Is starting to bleach from the inside out? That is what was happening to me and it was suggested that the thick branching action of birdsnest requires a higher flow for movement in the center of it. HTH

Thank you for the reply. Low flow wasn't an issue with this one, I've had that problem in the past. It was the very tip, and then spread out through the entire colony. I lost the total so far in the last 30 hours or so which is disappointing but hopefully it won't get too much worse before it gets better and I still have a lot of that colony remaining.

Check your temp. A heat spike can stress a coral to have a protozoan attack! And result in tissue necrosis RTN. Manicurring dense corals does help to create flow on the colonies. I lost some Policipora due to the above. Also, adding brightwell to the reactor is easier to maintain than constant dosing, per BR. I only added half the dose since I overshot my mag reading beyond 1600! Now stabalized to 1450.

RTN can be generated by many causes. Low alk for sure can trigger it and I think it was your case. Check also the positioning of Seriatopora as for lighting and tank mates

Back