Help tank leaking from the side.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't know how to fix it but if it is leaking I would suggest getting everything out and it drained ASAP before it blows the entire seam.

Knowing for sure what's leaking will definately help. If it's a bulkhead, you might be able to tighten it or seal it, but if it's the seam you should take everything out and fix it the right way while it's dry!

A leaking tank is a tank that's ready to fail. You'll need to drain it and reseal the seams before you can use it again. Sealing a seam isn't a difficult job but it does take some time and elbow grease.

Get everything out of the tank, drain it completely, and let it dry for a day. Pick up some razor blades, very fine steel wool, and acetone. Use the razor to cut and scrape away all the silicone from inside the tank, being very careful that you don't gouge the silicone that is holding the glass together between the panes. Once you've gotten out everything that you can feel, go over all the seams with steel wool and acetone. Remove any remaining silicone with the razorblade and repeat as necessary until you have an absolutely clean surface. Wipe down all the seams with a clean rag and acetone, mask your seams with painters tape, wipe down again, and apply fresh RTV. Smooth the RTV and pull your tape right away. I waited two weeks for the RTV to cure in my 180 but a week-10 days is probably sufficient. If you're doing this in a warm house you'll be OK. Cold garage=2 weeks.

For RTV, get down to Grainger and pick up some Momentive RTV103 (black) or 108 (clear). This is an industrial adhesive and is very easy to work with. There is approximately a 30 minute working time so you've got plenty of time to lay nice even beads and smooth it with your fingers for a pro look. I believe I remember paying $8-9 for a tube so it's not too expensive.

Good luck,
Mike

I have to admit, I have no experience with GE products. The Momentive RTV is a GE product manufactured under license from GE. I was advised by a couple of big time DIY'ers on Reef Central (uncleof6 and Bean Animal) that it was the way to go and I trust their opinions when it comes to stuff like this. I like it because I can get it at the local Grainger and it's very easy to work with. With a lot of products I hear so much contradictory information that I simply don't trust them. "You can use this one but not that one because it has mold inhibitor. No wait, it's that one and not this one. No wait!" I simply stick with what I know worked for me.

Mike

I had this happen on my 50 gal sump. Tried to find an easy fix, but ended up having to transfer everything to rubbermaid containers, knock out all the baffles, and get it resealed. I took it to a guy up in everett who reseals tanks. Had tons of fish tanks all over his house. Don't remember his name, but could probably figure it out. Charged me 10 bucks or something to take it apart and reseal it.

rob

Back