Help with 15 gallon sump setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

michellechristine

I'm setting up a custom 15ishg sump for a 36g bow front display. I have done this before but it was with a much larger setup so basically all I am needing to know is how much water flow can I get away with in such a small tank. Also what size drain do you guys think would be the best 1" or 1.25". I have a sicce syncra 5.0 return pump which I know might be a little over kill but I just wanted to be sure I had the flow I need after all the head loss. There will be bubble traps in the sump

I don't think the actual flow rate will be an issue, but I have a 10 gallon under a 20 and I had to be careful so that when I shut off the pump there wasn't much water that drained to the sump. It will be easy to overflow a small sump. There are charts on line that tell you what flow a given size of pvc will handle. Easier to go larger than you need.

I'm setting up a custom 15ishg sump for a 36g bow front display. I have done this before but it was with a much larger setup so basically all I am needing to know is how much water flow can I get away with in such a small tank. Also what size drain do you guys think would be the best 1" or 1.25". I have a sicce syncra 5.0 return pump which I know might be a little over kill but I just wanted to be sure I had the flow I need after all the head loss. There will be bubble traps in the sump

My first reaction would be to pickup a smaller pump.
I would suggest looking for a pump in the 300 gph range at 0 head.

If you are going with a single drain it sure wouldn't hurt to make it 1-1/4".

I know you just spent a butt load on a light.

But you would have to valve down the Sicce pump so much. Plus the size would take up a lot of room in the sump.

Also if you need any ideas on the baffles for the sump, I should be around.

Something like this would be more appropriate

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-1-5-pump-357-gph.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjMC2BRC34oGKqY27jtkBEiQAwSXzfrB1rVieOrwnfsqh8xy5ca83MSR0jn5qsa9cnzNTScQaAnGV8P8HAQ

You would have to restrict the flow by 75%.
Seems like such a waste of power, and space in the sump. IDK.

I would try and sell the 5 and find a deal on a smaller pump.

+1. I kno u can get an aqueon return pump on the auction sites for no more than $40... id go down to mclendons or ace hardware and replace the metal screws in the sides with nylons. Over time though the warm saltwater kinda wares out on the nylon screws and u may take a head off the screw... end of ramble.
D

I run a Sicce 2.0 (568gph) on my 40B/20L sump. With head loss it's around 400gph give or take into the DT. Working great.

Back