Help with Adding Life!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slukey

Hello. Let me introduce my self: I am a 23 year old Nursing student graduating in Dec from KSU blah blah. Anyhow I have always loved saltwater tanks and have never delved into keeping one until recently and decided to go ahead and take the plunge.
I have a 55 gallon tank at present with approx 100 lbs of liverock. I use an emperor ?( 400gph) filtration system, have two ( as of now) 400 gph rated water pumps to promote decent water circulation. Live stock ( purchased) is a 2 blue leg crabs, two turbo snails. and a Hatian reef anenome and the blue damsel ( devil).Obviously the liverock brought some life in the mix as well. I currently have nice caulpera growth/ and likewise pod growth, as well as some sort of mollusks, bristle worms and interestingly if I'm not mistaken a ribbon worm ( any knowledge on these boys).
The lighting I use over the tank is (2) 250 watt metal halide bulbs, (4) actinic blue 65 watt bulbs and 12 lunar lights.
My dilemma is that I have a wealth of knowledge from numerous sources ie: those who are trying to sell you the product ( and perhaps suppling you with misinformation), those that are liberal in reef keeping, and those more on the conservative side. For example Seahorses should be kept in species only tanks or housed with pipefish and the like right? But I seen video of housing them in a small 55 gallon reef with agressive fish. Anyhow, my problem is I would like life a decent amount of life in the tank besides the inverts presently occupying residence. Id like to move the damsel fish out or soon ( now that its purpose has been terminated).
I would eventually like coral and thus a reef tank. My idea is to add perhaps a small schoal to give the tank some more presence from a far and constant action, with the addition of a couple of "show" pieces ( not necessarily expensive), but perhaps more demanding and thus rewarding ie. I have grown to have dislike for damsels aggressiveness, and my thoughts have always been in favor ( however with just as much (?) agressiveness as damsels i dont know if this is an idea). Cardinal fish in shoals seem to stay stationary, anthias if any purchased for my tank should be purchased (singly) as I understand, lastly however I am warming to the idea of blue green chromis but unsure if that route should be taken, and what size group would be suitable keeping in mind the addition of one or more other fish.
Any comments/ suggestions are welcomed and encouraged... I am new so light me up. And I know you all want/ need pics... Im not sure how to minimize the quality/ size enough to post them! I tried messing with the pixels but still was unabled to upload
Thank you for your time to read my randomness :)

slukey,

Welcome to RF !!! You will find the people here to be nice and very knowledgeable.

I would agree with you that the damsel has to go soon. It will just cause havoc for any new fish that is added to the tank. Personally, I would not any fish until the little devil is removed. :D

Could you please give us some additional information about your tank.

For example, how long has it been running? What are the water parameters? (ie, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, Calcium and Alkalinity.).

Do you use RO/DI water or tap water?

For a schooling fish, chromis are good, but you might want to think about a school of fairy wrasses. Awesome color and maximum size for these fish is around 3-4 inches. You could have 1 male, 3-4 females. However, these fish require a canopy or lid as most fairy wrasses are jumpers.

For corals, IMO, you have more than enough light to have any coral (and clam) you desired. You need to decide what type of coral (ie, SPS, LPS, softies, anemone,etc.) you want your tank to be. However, if you do decide to keep an anemone, then seahorses are out as the sting of the anemone can be fatally to seahorses.

HTH,
Kirk

welcome to reeffrontiers you will find a bunch of cool people here. I am fairly new to this so don't rely on my advice but I think a school of maybe 3-5 green chromis would look really cool and add some color and movement to your tank. Also maybe pyjama cardinals? they seem to be pretty tame also. As far as seahorses go I think you are going to run into problems with the amount of flow necessary for corals. So you might have to choose between seahorses with a few low flow corals and a full blown reef.

If there is a way to successfully incorporate seahorses into a reef system I'd really like to know about it.

A school of fairy wrasses would be incredible. We considered that but we have an open top tank so we couldn't do it.

allenfamily,

I had the same issue with my tank. I had two port holes that were open and it needed to be covered as I have an orange diamond goby (definite jumper !!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7329275@N05/page4/

I solve this problem by going to a hardware store and getting a DIY window screen kit. I think it cost me $15 to cover both holes and 15 mins to make both window screens. And yes, it does let enough light to shine thru and does not affect the health of my corals.

Kirk

Your comments have been helpful and much appreciated! As response to more info about the tank and its parameters I have had it running since mid December of last year (2007). The ammonia/nitrates/nitrite level are all at 0. Ph of 8.3, alkalinity in the good range ( cant remember off hand the actual number, and I use tap water as of now that I treat with Kent ammonia detox before adding to the tank. I have no phosphates in my tap water. I'd imagine you would reccomend R/O and I'm looking into a place I can get it around my area.
After reading comments I checked out fairy wrasses and chromis alike. I love the color and elegance of the wrasses, however I think where they may be less strking chromis would allow me to not cry as much when seeing the bill. Does anyone know why Im reading its best to keep shoaling/schooling fish in odd numbers? Thank you again and I'll update with pics once I can!

As far as RO water is concerned. How far is your LFS from you? In the interim, you can purchase RO water from a LFS, it fairly inexpensive. But if you plan on keeping a reef, you might want to consider purchasing your own RO/DI unit. It will pay for itself in less than a year.

I haven't had luck with green chromis in my tank. When I had my 55g i had 5 in there and in a week 2 only remained. When I got my 180g I put a total of 7 in there and guess what, I only have 2 again. It seems like they do fine at first but then weed out the weak. I read somewhere keeping an odd number of fish in schools prevents them from getting into a situation where the fish form aggression pairs, where one fish always beats on the same other fish. Seems to make sense from wheat I've seen with my anthias.

Before anything, I would suggest getting an RO/DI unit, or get RO water from your LFS or you will be running into some problems! Hope this helps :)

Back