Help with Fire Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zenoah1439

I woke up this morning to my fire shrimp being half-molted. He seemed to be having some problem with his legs since he didn't seem able to walk anywhere, but instead was using his tail flappers to move. I figured I just caught him half way through a molt and let him be. I've now come back from work and he seems to be in the same situation. I fed the fish, and he seems to be using his tail flippers to go hunt down food, but still no leg action. Looking at his legs, it still looks like he's half way done. Is this normal? Could my shrimp have had a bad molt that might kill him?

I immediately checked the chemicals when i noticed the problem and everything is rock solid.

Any help is appreciated.

I have lost several shrimp and crabs to bad molts, things happen. Have you tested your iodine levels I have read that iodine helps them through molting. Could hand feed him till he gets past this molt, if not already.

+1 ive lost a sallylightfoot becuase when he molted he broke some of his legs! Hopefully he makes it man!

Mr. Lipid,

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess when i say "I tested the chemicals" i should have stated which chemicals. Iodine was something I didn't previously test. I'll se about getting a test kit and performing the test shortly.

I believe I could hand feed him, but if, for instance, he did break his legs during the molt, will they grow back during the next molt or will he be crippled from now till the end of time (i know they don't live that long lol)? Don't get me wrong, I'm not considering getting rid of him, I'll do what it takes to keep him going as long as I can, just curious if something did go haywire during his last molt if he has any hope of getting back to normal? He'd be a trooper up till this point and I'd hate for him to bite the big one.

I was also noticing that his tentacles (whiskers or whatever they're called) have grown in crooked since the last molt. Not sure really how to explain it, but rather than being long and straight, they're now all S-Shaped and short.

Is it possible that one of my fish attacked him while molting? I know in my old freshwater tank, I had an oscar kill a craw dad while molting. Course, I don't have any aggressive fish in my current saltwater setup (just 2 clowns, 1 azure damsel, 1 cardinal fish, and 1 coral beauty).

Allright, so i did some digging with the oracle (also known as google) and found some interesting info on the whole shrimp molting in reef aquariums subject. I thought I'd post it up for comment to see what ya'll thought.

Before I begin, i thought i'd give everyone an update on my shrimp. It appears that during his molt, all of the legs on his left side just didn't grow back. 3 of the legs on his right side did come back, but seem to have limited mobility. He seems to be doing ok for now, but i'm going to make some changes to se if i can ensure he pulls through in the end. My thoughts are to get him into isolation and feed him by hand until he regains mobility.

Now, on to what I found..

First off, apparently when a shrimp molts it is a good idea to leave the old exoskeleton in the tank. Apparently the shrimp itself will later eat and process the skeleton and use the nutrients held within it to replenish the new exoskeletal structure when the next molting occurs. I didn't do this with his previous molting, so maybe that contributed to his problems. I also read that due to the chemical makeup of the skeleton itself, it presents no consequence as it degrades and is processed by the shrimp (or so i read). So for this go at it, i'm going to let the skeleton remain.

Secondly, and probably most interesting, I found a lot of information on the chemical makeup of the Shrimp skeleton along with nutrients available in nature vs. the nutrients available in the tank. Apparently, in the wild, shrimp require a certain degree of Iodine to survive, however this is a dietary need only. Ideally, the shrimp needs 0.005% iodine to grow at its optimum (or natural) rate. So that's something to keep in mind.

Also, The shrimp itself contains some trace elements of iodine. It looks like shrimp iodine content for its fleshy meat can range between 0.05 to 2 ppm. Thats a pretty big range, and i've been unable to find anything specific to Fire Shrimp. I'll keep looking though. During mating or reproduction, the iodine content of shrimp almost doubles and that doubling of iodine is then passed to the young. When shrimp are fist born (if thats the right term) they have almost 4 ppm of iodine in their flesh which they later convert to the hard shell.

Speaking of the shell, i found that the shell itself contains up to 15ppm of iodine (again, i couldn't find anything species specific), which has a lot to do with its "hard" structure. If this is true, I can see why leaving the old shell in the tank would be a good idea since it will inevitably help to replenish the iodine content of the water for later moldings.

The only cautionary tale I found, was that algae apparently loves iodine. So if a supplement is used excessively, it can promote an excess of algae growth which will in turn absorb the iodine and not allow it to go to the intended recipient, the shrimp (if that's your goal). Just something to keep in mind.

So, in summation, i don't know if any of this may (or may not) have contributed to the problems i had with my shrimp, but I thought i would at least regurgitate the information I dug up during my digging in case anyone else has any interest. This may be common knowledge to ya'll, but I thought it proved to be some interested reads on the "inter webs".

Well I learned somthing from you thanks. I new iodine was needed but didn't now it was in there food. So I guess we all should start feeding our shrimp with shrimp since they contain iodine. I have left there shells in the tank and never seen him eat it nor crabs, but left it any way since it degrades in a couple of days. And yes on the next molt he will grow back missing parts and fix broken ones. Good luck

Hello Pitkat,

Yes, sorry for not following up sooner. I did test my iodine levels and they were very low. I've since started adding a supplement and the levels hover in the normal range.

Since adding the Iodine supplement, both of my shrimp have molted with no problems. I can't say this is directly related to the iodine, but its a data point i guess.

On another note, I woke up this morning to see that my Fire Shrimp had molted last night. He now has a full set of legs and appears to have good mobility again. His legs are a little short, as expected, but he seems to be much more mobile. I'm going to leave him in isolation for another day and then re-release him into my display tank. Took a couple weeks of hand feeding effort, but i think he will make a full recovery.

Just thought i'd pass the update along in case anyone has the same issue with their shrimp.

I am planning on keeping shrimp in my tank. When i finaly get it up and running:confused: I will certainly be keeping an eye on my iodine levels after your experiance. Good work, glad your fire shrimp survived:D

A couple of other tips re: shrimps. Most have a lifespan of 1 year, and the fire shrimp is normally busy during the night. so if you can find it during the day, do not fret; it is doing what is suppose to be doing which is hiding during the day. :)

Source: A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species

Hey Pitkat,

NC2WA is correct, my fire shrimp spends most of the day time hiding in the tank and is only active at night. My cleaner shrimp is "more" active durign the day, but still tends to hide if he can. One thing my cleaner shrimp does which is neat; he will ride the fish in the tank while cleaning them. It's pretty entertaining to watch. I think the shrimp are awesome to have in a tank and would highly recommend them based on my own personal experience.

Not sure if you like all crustacians equally, but i also have a couple hermit crabs in my tank. It's kind of a game each day to try to find them right now (they're small and distinguishing them from the floor of my tank which has crushed shell is very difficult). Not sure what they're compatibility is to the other things you want in your tank, but someone on the forum would be able to tell you.

A side note on the Iodine though. I've done a lot of research and reading on the use of iodine in a home aquarium since i had the problem with my fire shrimp. I personlly am not 100% sold on the need for iodine, but its cheap and its insurance I guess. Of all the articles and white papers I could find, none of them indicated any findings that iodine suppliments were required. Most articles simply stated that it wasn't required, but it also doesn't hurt. Just be VERY careful wihth dosing as high amounts of Iodine will kill the fish. In a nut shell, I guess i'm saying that i'm not sure if the iodine (or lack therof) would have ultimately caused my fire shrimps bad molt. After all, .5ppm found in the oceans is a tremendously low quanitity of iodine to be required for the shrimp. Someone else ont he forum may have more compelling information on the subject though as I'm only a few weeks into researching :)

Not sure what they're compatibility is to the other things you want in your tank

The only thing I will add is hermit crabs will kill snails for their shells. So it is a balance. Personally, I don't keep hermit crabs (or snails) in my tank as my PT Trigger likes to snack on them. :D

Hey Pitkat,

I've continued my research on the whole iodine thing to the point where even i'm getting confused lol. But i have managed to get some of what I think are facts from the many various opinions on the web. I thought I'd post my final thoughts below for you.

First, I thought i'd post up a point of clarification. In my above posts I was referring to "iodine" which in fact will be a toxic addition to any tank. What I have actually been talking about is Iodide supplement. Just wanted to post that clarification so that you don't end up using iodine and killing any of your inhabitants.

On to the major subject. It appears that all living things require some iodide to live, even humans. Through some research at the "livestrong" foundation I've found that the US actually supplements iodide into a lot of domestic water supplies in order to prevent premature thyroid failure in humans. However, some domestic water supplies do not have any added supplements and are therefore Iodide free. So, in the general case, performing routine water changes will increase the iodide levels within your tank to provide the needed trace elements for your shrimp. However, there are some areas which do not have iodide in their water supplies, such as mine, and will need to add supplements to provide the needed levels. Not sure what your water supply is, but it may be something you'd want to check into prior to adding potentials unneeded supplement.

One other thing to consider is that algae will consume and absorb iodide. So, even if your water supply has an iodide supplement, if your algae is absorbing the iodide faster than you are re-supplying it through water changes, it may still be needed to add a supplement.

I think the safe bet may to be to monitor your iodide level, and supplement if needed. Hope this helps. If anyone knows of any areas of inaccurate information above, please feel free to poke holes in it. I don't want to unintentionally lead anyone astray.

Back