Help with Frogspawn deflation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wizbang

Hello all -

I have a 14g BioCube that has been up and running for 3 months or so. All of the livestock has been doing very well until last weekend. Last Friday (3/6/15) I spot fed all of my LPS corals after lights out - 3x Frogspawn (2 very small and 1 large colony), 1x Hammer, and 1x Lg. Torch.

Since that night, the large Frogspawn colony has looked deflated. All the others look healthy, happy and full.

Water Parameters are -
Ph - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20-40
Calcium - 400

(performing 30% water change currently)

Water temp did reach 84 due to a defective heater (this past Tuesday) but since that day we have been staying 79-81.5.

I did take my Koralia and blow off the Frogspawn. There was lots of "food" in and around the polyps. Since I did that (last night) they are looking a little better bus still deflated.

I do not believe this is from BJD. I've seen that in the distant past and this is not similar.

I've attached a full tank shot and a close up of the Frogspawn for review. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Don

Attachments

• FrogSpawn.jpg
    FrogSpawn.jpg
    23.4 KB
  • FrogSpawn2.jpg
    FrogSpawn2.jpg
    24 KB
Last edited:
From the pic they don't look like the are ready to give up the ghost yet, but they are pissed! I would give it a few days and see if it reinflates. My hammer frequently does that after a water change for a few days.

The torch is a good 8+ inches from the frogspawn. and the hammer is closer and doesn't seem to be affected. We're looking a bit better today but still not where we were 10 days ago.

2 kinds Lps tenticles. Short feeders and long sweppers. Sweeper/stingers can reach 8"imo.
Wats ur alk? Alk swings or low dkh r always my 1st culprits
Hths
D

My hammer and my frogspawn is together and nothing happens so no problem if the hammer touch you frogspawn I can say just given more time or moved you frogspawn to other place maybe is getting better and I hope somebody can help you more.
Good Luck!!!

Are you running LEDs? I wonder if it is sitting in a concentrated light spot and it might be getting fried? Although it doesn't look bleached out so that probably isn't it.

Small tanks r hard to keep stable. That's why I said alk swings. Euphyillia corals are funny. Yes ppl mix torches hammers and frogs pawn or Octo coral...Dosent mean they all will get along. Competition for space and vital resources imo r why corals fight.
Sweeper stinger tenticles will.be out at night.
D

I've been watching for the past week+ and I'm not entirely convinced that my peppermint shrimp aren't to blame. They are very aggressive towards all my Euphyllia at feeding time. I'm hoping to get my second tank cycled in time to move either the frog or the shrimps.

All shrimp are coral food thieves! After awhile in the tank they learn it's easier to go to the coral and snatch food from them, then try to fish around in the water column. I normally feed my tank wait 10 mins and hit it again. That way the shrimp are pretty full and the corals can get theirs.

Back