help with halide bulb

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

peonleon2

Im looking to replace my metal halide bulbs.
I need 3 175w bulbs (not HQI)

i am looking to get the ones that have a slight blueish tinge to them. i think they are 14ks but i want to be sure. i have looked on the bulbs that i have but they dont say so that is why i ask you.
second question??
where online is a good place to order the bulbs? Even someplace local. i live in bothell.

thanks for eveyones help in advance.

leon c

slightly blue would be 14k......really blue would be 20k.....i don't know where to get 175w 14k....the place i buy my bulbs doesn't sell the 175w in 14k.....the bulbs can burn different on different ballasts.. what kind of ballast do you have??? here is a link that may help.. this shows 250w comparisons, so it may differ some from the 175w.
http://chrismorris.ca/250wcolour/

Last edited:
14k give you the slight blueish. I have tried a couple of different brands and right now am using generic 14k bulbs from ebay. They are alot cheaper than the name brand and look pretty good but don't generaly last as long. I have been using them to experiment with the different color tempertures.

some one also told me about reef optics. Does anyone have any thoughts on them if anyone had used them or what not?

i just took my Hamilton 14k's off...i will not ever use them again!!!! the color is great, but coral growth is horrible!!!! my acro's and monti's literally quit growing all together when i switched to these bulbs... i gave them several months to work out, but they just suck for coral growth

I love buying from Marine Depot dot com. They have good prices, good selection and fabulous customer service. I bought the wrong brand bulbs (didn't work with my ballast), sent them back and got the refund right away, unlike some other places I have purchased from.

i just took my Hamilton 14k's off...i will not ever use them again!!!! the color is great, but coral growth is horrible!!!! my acro's and monti's literally quit growing all together when i switched to these bulbs... i gave them several months to work out, but they just suck for coral growth

Ron, that is interesting. When I switched out from my 1/2 used XMs to reeflux, my coral growth also took off. I considered it anecdotal as I had also added a CaRx, done a large water change, and increased fish feeding. Still, it is interesting...

Mike,i Love the Reeflux 10k bulbs!!! i don't think i will be switching to any other bulb!! the corals love them .. i talked to several people that had great results, so i gave them a try:D

i just dont like the yellow look on some bulbs. thats why im looking into the 14k bulbs., im just running MH's 3of them. so i dont have any other bulbs running to help with the color.

i just dont like the yellow look on some bulbs. thats why im looking into the 14k bulbs., im just running MH's 3of them. so i dont have any other bulbs running to help with the color.

Same here. I have two XM 10k bulbs and they are rather yellow. I have one SPS brand 10k and it is slightly blue, almost like a hamilton 14k but I don't know about its par rating.

how would 2 14ks and one 10k look? i can have 3 bulbs so the one 1o k would be in the middle and the and the 2 14ks on the outers.
anything against it or for it?

i did that on my 125g... i had a Reeflux 10k in the middle and a Coralvue 14k on each end of the tank.. looked pretty good

I have heard a theory that 14k results in good coral color while 10k results in growth. I am currently using a mix of both. 14 k on the ends and 10 k in the middle. The 10k is on a longer photo period than the 14ks.

Curious if anyone else has heard this theory or have any experiences to add?

how would 2 14ks and one 10k look? i can have 3 bulbs so the one 1o k would be in the middle and the and the 2 14ks on the outers.
anything against it or for it?

If you come over Saturday, you will see how that looks on my tank. Well, mine is actually the opposite (blue in the middle, yellow on the sides) but you can get the general idea.

Back