Help with lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

J McCauley

I am putting together a 125 AGA reef tank. Have put together the sump, refug, skimmers, and closed loop system. Time to put together the lighting. Will have, what I guess is considered a mixed reef: SPS, LPS, softies, clams, and few fish. Would like to put the 250 HQI lights (I think), or should I use the new 400 HQI that are out? I think I will put them parallel to the tank. Will three 250 HQI be enough or do I need to add actinics? What kelvin bulb and who's brand should I use. Who's and what kind of ballast should use? Love to hear all your comments!!!

Thanks
J Mc

The 125 is basically divided into three sections, so by using 3x 250de you could avoid putting the halides directly over the braces (wich causes a horrible shadow) instead of using say two 400de. also, i use two 250de (one 15k coralvue and one 20k AB) on my 46gallon w/o actinics i really like the look because the bulbs give enough blue, also you can have the halides come on in and shut off at different times wich still kinda creates a dawn/dusk effect. if you are on a budget marine depot sells aquamedic 250de pendents for $280 complete that was the best deal i could find.

I would have to agree with Flip on the choice, also you dont need 400 DE, the 250 watt DE's are more then enough for that depth of tank.

take care

Mike

Back