Help with macro algae ID (and what may eat it)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I have this stuff that is starting to become more and more annoying. I have these two types of macro's that are growing in my display and I'm hoping to get some ideas of how to get rid of it. Both of them grow off vines which grow new colonies. I have been plucking it out by hand for a while but I'm looking at other options. Here are pics of what I'm dealing with:
IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

I thinking my best bet would be a Foxface Rabbitfish. I know a 65G isn't exactly an ideal tank size for one of those but they have some ~2" ones at SWC which would last a while in my tank. Any ideas?

actually a foxface requires only 55g and i think they would get rid of it and also maybe a yellow tang.

i would disagree that a 55g will be big enough long term for a foxface....i mean they do get around 12". i would agree that a foxface or any rabbit for that matter would be the way to go. a 2" foxface in a65g would be fine for quite awhile......'sides they arn't to hard to find homes for when they do get too big.

i have seen them at 12in in a 55g sucesfully but they would prefer bigger and they are easy to get a home.

I was thinking the same thing about a foxface. SWC has some that are perfect size that should easily last a year or longer before they would need to be moved. Now I just have to clear a few of my other fish out so I don't up the bioload too much. Any thoughts on the YT? I have a small bristle-tooth Tang that I've had for about a year now. I've been thinking of moving him out soon to a larger home. I'm not sure how fast a YT would grow before it became unsuitable for my tank size.

1st one Caulerpa serrulata
2nd one Caulerpa peltata or Caulerpa numularia

Bboth are very high in secondary metabolites (toxins) so there's no guarantee a foxface would eat it.

i don't know about fishes but the second one ( that piece of ... well you know the rest :p) my emerald crabs used to eat it all the time, if i was you i'd get some twicers from the wife and start picking.. seriously, i have it after 4 years of battle and the darn thing just won't die because if it gets cut into a tiny mini little piece, well the tyni mini little piece will attach to another rock and grow all over again :doubt:, i had a yellow tang a few years back and no they don't eat that stuff or at least mine didn't eat it :p .

Back