help with montipora cap

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

I recently bought a red montipora cap, and the first day i notice their was a tissue lost, even thought i look at it..wasn't able to spot any nudi or bug. the next day another half of the coral tissue started to turn white and slime was over it. from what i read online, i broke off 2... 1 inch frag and superglue it another small live rock. the other large piece was dip into a bucket of water with lugol. I was wondering what can be the cause of it. Because this is the first experiment with sps coral. i have couple other frag of acro that seem to be doing fine, same for my birdnest. was just trying to see if anyone can give me any advice on it.

It sounds like it was a lighting issue (too intense without acclimation) if I had to guess without knowing your tank conditions and lighting type or coral placement. Montipora is generally a lower light coral unless acclimated to higher light. It can do well under PC, VHO, and T-5 HO systems. Another possibility is that the water parameters in your tank differed too much from the tank that it came from.

Regards,
Kevin

Back