HELP with my 75g Acrylic Saltwater set-up!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mrlang1981

Hello everyone! I am in the process of setting up my 75 gallon acrylic saltwater aquarium and would like some recommendations on lighting as well as a few other issues. As of now all I have is a 400 metal halide ballast and a bulb (not even sure of the wattage) hooked up to it. I bought it used. Would this be sufficient lighting or is that too much? My goal is to maintain a healthy system that will include lots of LPS and a few fish. I eventually want to add SPS too! Another question I have is in regards to water filtration and circulation. How many powerheads, pumps, ect.. do I need and where should they be positioned? I bought the Red Sea wavemaker and have been told that water circulation, lighting, and skimming are most important to keeping a good system. Does it matter what brand I buy? If so which ones are most efficient? I would appreciate any suggestions and help. Still have to figure out how to plumb the system too! Thanks!

as a rule of thumb, one halide will light 2 feet of tank, i am assuming yours is four feet long. 400 watt halides is overkill but not bad it will be real bright. as far as powerheads go probaly the most bang for the buck would be seio pumps and next koralia. it is pretty hard to have too much flow if you are going to have a bare bottom tank. you could easily have 10,000 gph in there however if you have sand that would be a problem. powerhead placement all depends on you, your livestock and your rockscape. it takes some experimenting to see what your critters want. where are you located? i might be able to swing by and help

Back