Help with my home made Sump - anyone have last minute suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I am having last minute doubts on my sump.

I would really value any feedback before I begin into this project. I have a 29gallon plexi tank I am converting into my sump. I have cut several pieces of plexi to the width (front to back) of the tank and can glue them in wherever needed as baffles to achieve the best result. Right now my plan is:

First chamber (left to right) is for inflow from tank and the ASM skimmer (size of chamber is 9 x 12) ,

Not sure how to route the water in (should I put in a side mount bulkhead fitting from 1" PVC drain line and then 90 elbow and PVC down into chamber?)

Then how should I place the skimmer (how should the skimmer sit in my sump and should I do anything to maximize water flow efficiency to skimmer (i.e. any smaller baffles in that chamber etc.).

Second chamber - size is about 8-10" width (after two baffles- first water goes under first and over second). is refugium? or just empty? or miracle mud? What about heater placement???

After two more baffles the third chamber is for water out to pump and where the float switch for water top off will be (width of this chamber is about 9"). I am plumbing a bulkhead fitting with a strainer to this side of tank about 1" from bottom and plumb with PVC out to pump intake with 3/4" pvc.

I will be plumbing a 15 gallon freshwater reservoir to go to topoff (via whatever floatswitch I end up using). This top off water will flow through a kalk reactor before it goes into the sump.

Lastly, My pump is a Pan World with the following specs.

Max Flow: 790gph
Max Head: 21ft
Power: 120W
Fittings (Inlet/Outlet): 3/4" MPT / 3/4" MPT
Dimensions (L x W x H): 10.5" x 4" x 5.5"
Comparable to Iwaki: 40RLT

What is the best/right way to plumb from the sump location in the garage, under the house to a tank 25 feet away in the living room and 5' up? Right now I plan to use 3/4" PVC from output side of pump to the tank and then a 1" dia PVC from overflow (lifereef) drain to sump.

I have PVC, valves, and plexi laying all over and I am ready to go. I know this is a lot to answer, but all and any input is really appreciated.

Thanks so much for any help,

Bob

ONLY 8 year exp but it may help

Yo B.O.B I have had real good success using a venturi system by using 1" pvc from the sump to the pump & from pump to tank 3/4 ' pvc good luck . Just upgraded myself from a 65gal allglass to a 90gal reef ready.:rolleyes: :cool:

Attachments

• Picture 066 (Small).jpg
    Picture 066 (Small).jpg
    85.8 KB
addiction? Isn't that something you can cure with substantial counseling and a lot of pain and suffering?

anyone else care to comment???

Oh and GO SEAHAWKS!! I almost cried last night when they presented the trophy (and I am a grown man)

Bob
I think you need to do a test run to see how much water will siphon back from the tank after power is shut down. This will tell you how high to place the baffles. Also figure out how much water will drain from the skimmer when power is off.

Don

What size tank is this sump for? 25' is a long haul.

The water should drain into the sump from above preferably. You don't need yet one more elbow. The pipe should be secured, and only be submerged 1" at the most.

If that tank is 18" tall, you could probaly have the baffles at 12" tall. Put some eggcrate at the top of each baffle of the middle refugium section (some at each end) to keep snails from wandering into other compartments.

Use 1/4" thick acrylic with aquarium-safe silicone. Let it cure for 24 hours before adding water.

Diving the tank in 3 equal compartment would probably be best.

Back