Help with Mystery Wrasse

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

badger126

Zoanthid Addict
I keep hearing mixed things about mystery wrasse - do they bury in the sand or not? I picked up one in Salt Lake City yesterday, and after about 6 hrs in a styro box I finally got him home. When I pulled out the bag he was just kind of floating there. I arrived home at like 1 am and he was in a dark box for quite a while so I was hoping he was just sleepy. I poured him out in a bowl and then I noticed him gasping heavily. I did a pretty quick acclimation since I was a bit worried about temp and oxygen depletion. I also had a melanarus wrasse in the same acclimation bowl. I put them in the tank and the melanarus wrasse took to the sand and the mystery wrasse floated to the bottom. The tank was dark so it was hard to keep track of him but over the next hour or so he would just sit in one spot for a while and then swim to another spot if he was bugged by anything like current or my cleaner shrimp. He stopped gasping so much....then I looked at the tank again and he disappeared. I haven't seen him at all today, so I'm just wondering about their general nature. Is it possible that he's still ok? I've done a search and so far haven't found anything helpful. Can someone chime in with their experience? The melanarus wrasse is fine today by the way so I'm just waiting on my expensive fish to show up :confused:

Back