Help with new Lionfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cephcrazy

Cuttlefish
I just bought this fish earlier and didn't really get any first hand advice. So i looked him up and he's a Parapterois heterura, Blackfoot firefish,Bluefin lionfish , Japanese dwarf lion fish...But I did see a few post saying he is to difficult to keep?? Does anyone know someone who has kept one?

pimp028.jpg

pimp029.jpg

Well everyone is going to say you should have done your homework first:p but I won't ;). He looks really cool I haven't seen one like that before. I don't know a whole lot about Lion fish, but I do know that everyone says not to over feed them because they can get impacted with food and it kills them. Also I think it's pretty much a rule of thumb that Lion fish will eat pretty much anything that will fit in it's mouth so no smaller fish. It is also known that sometimes it is hard to get them to eat frozen food so I hope you at least saw it eat before you brought him home.

Brian

I see someone who fell in love the the pictures from *cough reef mystique cough* and just had to have one. I wanted one too, but controlled myself.

At any rate, good luck with the cool fish, stay away from smaller fish cause this little guy won't...

Oh the eating isn't a problem he does eat frozen foods already,and all my fish are fine with him (bigger), being a dwarf he shouldn't grow much more.I was just checking to see if there were any obscure pit falls with him. I think he'll be fine:)

And when your at Reef M and your friend wants to buy you a fish because he likes it so much you don't argue;)

Thanks for all your feed back!!

I had a dwarf lion and he grew to almost 7" in length. He was not such the dwarf I hope he would be. However he did really well with ll of my other fish and coral banded shrimps. He did however fivour the 2.5" cleaner shrimp. This thing was massive and I thought for sure he was too big to fit in his mouth. So I put him in there. The lion fish stalked him for 2 days and the next day I woke up to find the lion fish grew antennae out of his mouth.

I was thinking of picking one of those up as well. They are really pretty.

However, there is a limited amount of information on the "net" about them. I found a couple articles at WWM, and that's about it.

Supposedly they are a "tame" lion fish and are dubbed "reef safe" (as long as nothing in your tank will fit in it's mouth). The only readings I found online about them is they sit on the substrate and are commonly found on muddy buttoms where they dwell in nature.

If it's a true Japanese dwarf it's a cold water fish. I don't know how cold, but depending on what you find out, maybe you could slightly lower the temp of your tank to 72-76?

I got one comnig in today $59.99ea.

Dont think this is one i'm getting is from japan, actually its from indo!

33% off if they are sold in the bag.

I better bump the order up these are really rare:idea:

Got 2 coming now, the power of a phone call.

ARSA

He/She is 3inch's and is doing great on the reef, at first the Peppermint shrimp were giving the lion a hard time and kept him in the corner. As well my butterfly would case him, but he now has his own area:)
His eating is regular started the minute i put him in. Eats pellets or frozen brine cubes.
All and all i think it was a great deal,50$ even!!

He's the little red dot bottom left
tank002.jpg

Last edited:
Back