Help with Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

I just got a Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 150...used. I must admit I am a little at a loss on setting it up. I am trying to figure out the best way possible. I am thinking external as it would take up the entire 20 gallon sump I have.

Other ideas i have, is to run my over flow directly into it and then the out put into the sump....

returning bubble are a worry....

I am also thinking this skimmer is over kill for my 30 gallon SPS tank....(should I just trade this skimmer for one with a more reasonable footprint??)

suggestion, comments, pictures of your skimmer setup... would be nice.

Thanks

Thor

Not a good idea to have an overflow directly into equipment in case of a leak or plug.

A nw150 would not be needed on a 30 sps tank. In fact, it is not the corals but the fish the skimmer is for. The corals are filter feeders and clean the water.

Almost any smaller low end skimmer would be fine. The remora is good as are others.

well, i think the octo nw-150 is perfect for a 30g sps...
any sps tank is going to benifit from agressive skimming, and i wouldnt dare call the nw-150 overskimming...not even for 30g. that thing gets like what, 400 lph out of the box max?
have you mesh modded the impellar and modded the venturi?

and i would say just feed the skimmer with a small pump, you dont want anymore that 75gph of process water going through that skimmer on a 30g.

I've got an Octopus 150 going in a 72g tank right now and it's doing great with no mods...it would probably do better with mods, but I have no clue how to do it.

In any case...if you decide that you don't want the 150 anymore, let me know--I've got a 54g corner tank in my garage I'm working on that needs a skimmer :)

The skimmer will be a good fit for that tank. I'd run it external, feed it with around 75g-150g and let it go. With that low of flowthrough you should not have any micro's escaping and good dwell time. The stock 150's only pull around 5-6scfh fwiw.

Not a good idea to have an overflow directly into equipment in case of a leak or plug

Yeah and you could have a fish or a snail get sucked down your overflow and into your equipment, while they were trying to find a drain that leads to the ocean :)

anybody want this skimmer....I can not fit it in my setup?

Drill your sump and plumb it externally.

I could but I have no room in stand or around it, with out it being a total eye sore. $100 and it's yours.

Back