Help with SPS coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

Can anyone offer me any advice, recently i just bought a new 130 gallon tank. i had a 65 gallon hex tank, my sps coral was doing fine, until the day i move out all the live rock and move it to the new tank for cycle..and its been about 2 week, not sure why my 65 gallon tank boom with hairy algae...i keep the phosphate and skimmer on the tank. the only thing i remove was the rock..i notice alot of my monitpora and also acropora are dying off..tissue turning white..... its been about 2 weeks since i set up the new 130 tank..with old rock..and i run t-5 ..54x2 on it..with high flow..also use refugium sand from a develop mantis shrimp tank.. today i test the water..calcium is 480, phosphate at 0 or a bit.. nitrate was at 0.. and caronate hardness is at 15kh.. not sure what ammonia, nitrite,....i used around 25 to 30 gallon of water from the old tank........as of right now im gonna check the water para again next week..if water is good..gonna load everything into my new tank..but wasn't sure if the new tank will go through a cycle phase where algae bloom.because i used alot of material from my 65.....anyone with any advice can be really greatful

milez

Well without LR your tank has no or not enough biological filtration, you may need to relocate everything to the new tank. I has some sps frags turn completely white after a few weeks of getting them, so I lowered them to the bottom of my tank & slowly the colors have all come back.

There is no reason to wait before moving your livestock to the larger tank. To the animals it will resemble a large water change. Unless you increase the bio-load there should be about the same amount of bacteria (if you use all the same liverock, sand, etc.) as in the smaller tank. Only if you add new/more liverock that is uncured will you have a detectable cycle.

Regards,
Kevin

i currently move some of my basic soft coral like zoo, as of right now..i move couple frag of sps like millis and encrusted monti... the liverock is from the old tank, but sand and water was a complete new from the store... alot of my sps are dying...so i rather take the risk in the new tank then the old tank..gonna move some of the sand or all of it from the old tank to the new one...i hope that help..but as far as light system..can sps live through t-5 for couple days? ..

The corals will be fine under T-5's. Take 20 gallons of water from the old tank and put it in the new tank.

When starting a new tank from an established one try and use as much water as you can from the established tank. This will help to keep the water chemistry near to what the corals have been used to.

Regards,
Kevin

Back