help with transfer Sps coral to new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

Hi everyone,
Can anyone give me advice on how to transport my sps coral to my new tank. At this current moment, my sps coral is in 55 hex with 10 gallon sump. And i'm gonna transfer it to a new tank 120gallon with 30 gallon sump. I wonder if i bring some of the water from old tank to new tank. Do i have to recycle the new tank over prior to putting in the sps. Because i spend alot of money on my previous sps coral and alot die.. i finally got the handle and dosing for my old tank. Try on error not cool. so if anyone know how long i will it would take before i can put my sps coral into the new tank would be really helpful. I'm currently thinking about mixing instance ocean and also buy some water from the LPS. As for the new light system i was using 250 watts but now i'm gonna add another 400 watts to the tank and hope it makes a difference. i'll try to post some picture to show what kind of sps.. not sure what species a lot of them...thanks again

You'll need to make sure your new tank has completely cycled. It'd also be a good idea to have the new tank somewhat mature before introducing your SPS corals. Are you replacing your 55 or setting up another tank? I ask because if you use some of, or all of the live rock from your 55, that'd go a long way towards helping your new tank cycle and grow mature quicker...IF your 55 is a well established and healthy tank.

Hello,
First you will need to have 100 gallons of warm new water (70 or so in the tank and 30 in the sump). Save as much of your old water as possible. Your new tank will not have a noticeable cycle if you use all your old rock and sand but you may see a jump in nitrates depending on how long your previous tank has been running. If this happens do a 10 gallon water change every few days and they should return to normal in a week to ten days.

HTH,
Kevin

The new tank will be using same live rock and sand from the old tank. only thing different is i might have to buy 2 more 20lb live sand.. my tank has bee establish for more than 1 year and half.. i was thinking about recycle it with majority of the tank water...and also might get some mangrove to help control nitrate awhile going thru the cycle phase.. i usually do 5 gallon water change in my 55 every 2 week..only way to maintain my sps without bleaching or hairy algae to bloom.. i was wondering if i do water change for the 55 gallon tank and actually save the old water in a container, would i be able to use the water in the new tank or would the bacteria in the water die off and create a nitrate bloom..

Hello,
Mangrove trees are more of a novelty item rather than a good export for nitrates as they grow so slowly. Water contains very little bacteria so it does little to help with cycling. The biggest reason to use the water the corals come from is to prevent shock from differences in water chemistry. If you save as much water possible at the time of the move you should be fine.

Regards,
Kevin

Back