Help With WIRING

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

salmonslayer

UP ALL NIGHT
Anyone have any pictures of ther wiring they can post. I have 125gal and adding a 180. Going to have 3 400watt with 2 48" CP'S on sumps and 3 400 watt on the other tank. Need a mess load of timers and power strips. Trying to clean it up. Both tanks are in the garage and its sheetrocked. I have 2 20amp brakers for both tanks. Going to surface mount everything. thanks all

Last edited:
tons of different ways but best I thought of with what you are working with would be to put 2 gfi outlets for each 20 breaker that gives you 4 plugins per tank and if you use one plug in with one timer and a power strip on the end you can use one timer and one plug for all halides one tank and one plug in and power strip and one timer for pcs still 2 plugins for other acceroies/pumps on power strips double protected, if you are getting really invloved you could run house wires into a box and put in a outlet for each item with switches and timers, makes it convient but not as easy to switch things around and pretty involved and need to be pretty precise with what power goes where. just some thoughts million different possibilties

hayi did not know you needed help with seting it up i re wired my uncles garage i can draw up a plan and help you instal it all.

Brandon

on power strips double protected
- I HATE power strips....from the audio hobby I learned they are not worth the powder to blow em up! Too many tend to fault and fail. I prefer outlets, ideally switched. Just my opinion.

Brandon- help this poor guy out!
D

i will he is a good guy helped me out alot i would run GFI on all his plugs. he just needs to wake up and say hi lol

Brandon

OK, you guys are killing me. Whats a power strip and whats a GFI. Do I feed to my fish ? and how many times a day do I feed them power strips and GFI.

and by the way you only need to plug your power strip in once and drop it in your tank to feed your fish. then thay will be full forever
Brandon

get a couple of the switched load centers for audio equipment. there have been some posts here about them but i dont know how to find it. maybe someone who knows how do do a link will chime in.

get a couple of the switched load centers for audio equipment. there have been some posts here about them but i dont know how to find it. maybe someone who knows how do do a link will chime in.

I dont use them on my tank but this is what they look like. They are made by american DJ. You can find chaper than the american DJ but I would'nt by cheap stuff for electrical.

Thanks a bunch Don. Got one.
Here is what I have
3 cords for MH,
3 " " " soon to be added,
2 " " 48"CP over sump below tank.
2 " " 48"CP above tank.
MH on during the day then off at night
Cp off during the day and on at night
Plus all the other stuff that I can clean up with DJ power strip.

Last edited:
I used the DJ100 lighted switched powerstrips. Two in my sump for a total of 16 outlets on one 20amp GFI outlet. I added another powerstrip in my canopy. If you go with these, you will want make sure you leave room for transformers that will stick above or below the top/bottom of the powerstrip. What I don't know yet is how they will work with X10 controllers as I haven't hooked those up yet.

Octopus%20controller.JPG

Aquarium%20details-19.JPG

I can't find a good picture of my outdoor timers that I used for my lights but Home Depot carries Intermec brand that will give you two outlets on a single timer to add some additional outlet capability.

Back