help -- zoo problems!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

caseyb21

So we got our first zoos this weekend (yay!) We came home, put them in a nice little spot at the bottom of the tank and a couple hours later noticed one of the crabs was all over it, pullin it outta the spot and clawing at it... So we put it in a little cove in the front of one of the rocks and got it off the sand thinking it would be ok. Well I came home from work today and one of my snails was tryin to pull him outta the side of the rock. Im not sure what the deal is... any ideas? Any suggestions on how to stop it?? Help!
:confused:

Heres a pic of that nessarius picking at the zoo:

CALK0V1P.jpg

we had to put the zoanthid in Zoo Jail so the crabs wouldnt get him, now the snails are after him!

maybe you can order the Fosters and Smith crab outdoor run :) . hahaha
cracked myself up.

Sorry I am a pretty new person at this stuff too. No disrespect intended. You just reminded me of my tank and anything that lived in it was a miracle. :)

Last edited:
Often when we bring home something new, especially when already on a piece of rock all the animals in the tank are extra interested in it. I have been told this can be because there are little hitch-hikers on the rock that are being eaten...of course I cannot verify this is your case.

I would also assume the Nassarius Snail is not something to worry about...I have never heard of them being unfriendly to a zoa let alone any other coral in your tank (again, my experience).

There are things like dips that you can buy to "treat" your coral for any unwanted hitch-hikers and is generally a good rule to follow when putting anything new into your tank...even if you know where it is coming from!

And...we always find hermit crabs and snails where we don't want them...seems they have a mind of their own...in the end we have never seen any problem with hermits or snails grazing in and around our zoas (and we do see it a lot).

Good luck...though I do like the little "jail" you made...quite creative.

So we got our first zoos this weekend (yay!) We came home, put them in a nice little spot at the bottom of the tank and a couple hours later noticed one of the crabs was all over it, pullin it outta the spot and clawing at it... So we put it in a little cove in the front of one of the rocks and got it off the sand thinking it would be ok. Well I came home from work today and one of my snails was tryin to pull him outta the side of the rock. Im not sure what the deal is... any ideas? Any suggestions on how to stop it?? Help!

So as Knowcrap has said I don't believe that either the crab or the snail are after the zoanthids. I've brought home zoanthids and one of the very first things to happen to it is that my tuxedo urchin has run through it. She never damaged the zoanthids but did wipe out some byrosis that I didn't notice in the LFS tank. So those critters are probably picking off some copepods or left over goodies from the LFS or previous tank. I would say that if the tonga nassirus is going to the frag then there has to be some good meaty bits between those polyps that it would like to get to. Personally I'd put the frag back on the sand bed and let the critters eat whatever is under the zoas before it decays!

Good luck and enjoy your new frag.

Back