What do I do?
I came home from work and found this
Do I rip it out or let it sit over night to see
It will dislodge it self
Ken
dcp_1082.jpg

dcp_1081.jpg

dcp_1080.jpg

I would take some tank water, put some in another container, and put the whole thing in there to see if it might pull through. Have a spare heater and something to circulate the water and a big enough container? I guess I said set up a quarentine tank.

ohh boy dood !! ouch :(
what i did when mine got stucked in my powerhead i just put the powerhead close to a rock and it got out of there by itself.
I unplugged all my other powerheads so there was no flow in the tank for about an hour.
i also would do what ken says if you have a quarantine tank :).

I'm going to move this to the general forum, you'll get more responses there! :D

MikeS

Yikes! Doesn't look like the foot was damaged in there at all, and just the "head" of the anemone was sucked in. For sure, don't pull it out, or at least give it a chance to work itself off. I had a RBTA get sucked into one of my closed loop intakes, and I turned the pump off. I put a piece of PVC near the anemones foot, and it eventually pulled itself off the stuck to the PVC (after a couple of hours). It had some busted up tentacles, but turned out fine. Definately keep an eye on the anemone to make sure it doesn't quickly go south on you. Watch for the anemone to spit mesenterial filaments out of its mouth. Let us know how things go. Do you have a QT?

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:26 pm Post subject: thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got up this morning at 6 and it had extracted itself.
It looked in fair condition. When I turned the lights on it went on the move and is trying to find its comfort place again.
Thanks, Ken
I got some pics before it moved will post later.

Glad to hear it was able to free itself. It might decide to split from the stress of all this, so keep an eye on that, too. As well as the overall health of the anemone after the trauma. Let us know how it heals up!

shortbus said:
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:26 pm Post subject: thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got up this morning at 6 and it had extracted itself.
It looked in fair condition. When I turned the lights on it went on the move and is trying to find its comfort place again.
Thanks, Ken
I got some pics before it moved will post later.
Good Lord, he may look like he survived a train wreck, but at least he survived!!!
Good luck!! :eek:

At first I thought you were talking about the snail. Lol. That doesn't look good, and probably the best advice has already been mentioned. I would just let it sit and try to work itself out. Powerheads in tanks with anenomes is a disaster waiting to happen, even with close loops. If I was going to start an anenome tank, then I would just make sure I have a strong return. This would make sure that the anenome could not get stuck in an intake other than the overflow which does not have the pressure of powerheads and close loop intakes.

Goodluck.

Kensn said:
I would take some tank water, put some in another container, and put the whole thing in there to see if it might pull through. Have a spare heater and something to circulate the water and a big enough container? I guess I said set up a quarentine tank.
I agree with Kensn. It may be OK and if it has already reattached itself to something, then by all means leave well enough alone. Makes sense to keep a close eye on it and do special feedings for it for the next week or so. I don't know how much it normally eats at one time--but break it up into several regular small feedings. If you keep the portions small and regular--hopefully it will not reject them as much and have a better chance of surviving.

Good luck.

Anne

Glad to hear there is hope!! Keep us all posted on its well being. Now.... how do we keep that from happening to anyone elses anenome??

Powerhead placement is often key, nothing directed moreso caotic. If the powerhead/intake needs to be placed lower where there is potential for harm, use grated or foam covers. If that is not an option, it is one of the very few times moving the anemone might be considered. A better option would be turning off the powerhead in the troubled spot until the anemone moves on. Using a much smaller powerhead and directing it intentionally at the anemones foot will often accomplish that.

The larger concern to address though is why the anemone moves around in the first place. When newly introduced it is normal but contrary to popular belief, they are not constant roamers. They can/will stay put for many many years in exactly the same spot. Change in flow, light spectrum or allelopathy would be a the top of the list for things to check. More commonly the first two.

Cheers
Steve

Here is the follow up on my power head vs. anemone
A little misshapen, but so far so good
Thanks
Ken
dcp_1085.jpg

Back