Hi everyone,Lighting?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

f1504b4

I am in the planing stage of setting up a 75 gallon FOWLR aquarium.I know that eventually I will go all reef like everyone tells me and knowing myself thats probably right.But for now I want to start slow.I am going to use a sump and refrigum and a DSB.
Can anyone give some help and suggestions on what lighting to buy.
Phil

Are you looking to just buy one lighting rig that will work later on down the road? Or a rig to get bye for now, knowing that you will need to get a better one later?

Oh yeah, Welcome to RF! :)

Our moderators/staff put together packages of good links on peticular topics in the library section. Here is the link to the lighting library.

Initally you will only need the most basic of lighting systems for the fish, these can get expensive at a pet shop, but you may be able to find other reefers giving them away.

Last edited:
Welcome to RF!! Hope you enjoy it here:) As for lighting, if going FOWLR, you don't need much lighting at all. You could get away with something like power compacts in the 130w range for example if you wanted, and everything would be happy as fish as well as the live rock don't require intense light. However, if you plan to go with a reef setup later and only want to buy one light now, you will have to decide on what types of corals you will want to go with to know what lighting will be suitable. If not going with high light demanding corals like SPS and clams, then you won't need to get anything like metal halides etc. Just a thought...Good luck and I hope you find the forum enjoyable, helpful and friendly:)

Back