Hi, Where do I start?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pyton

Hi I am new to the boards and new to reef keeping. In fact I have not even set up my aquarium yet because I do not know what size to buy.

I have a 10X10 room I want to put a tank in. It is now just a sitting room so I want to make it look more alive.

What are your thoughts on setting up a nice size tank and what equipment would I need?

Thank you for your advise.

Well first off you came to the right place. First step is to start reading and searching this forum. Second you will need to decide what you want to put in your tank. Do you just want fish? do you want corals? How many of each would you like? Once you've answered this you can pick out a size and shape of tank you like. I'd buy a tank with a built in overflow. You will need a bunch of live rock (like 1/2 lb per gallon to start). I recommend a sump. And you'll need a good protein skimmer. If you go "fish only" or if you go with corals will determine how myuch light you need. But you can plan on 1-5 watts a gallon for light.

Welcome to RF pyton. You will find a wealth of info here and many many very nice and generous people as well. As to the size of the tank, IMO it should be the size you WANT. With the expense of this hobby and complication of changing things later I would recommend doing what you want the first time. You will save money and headaches later. Other will chime in with more educated info to mine so listen away and feel free to ask all the questions you want. You will get good answers.

Hello pyton, welcome to RF! :)

Have you seen some aquariums you would like to go by in way of what you want?
I see a lot of people having good results starting off with the Red Sea Max Aquariums. They are small to medium sized aquariums that are very user friendly, all in one, reef capable aquariums. Do a search on them and see if maybe this is something you may be interested in.
If so, report back here and we will have something to go with.
Good luck!
Frank

we see large tank in post falls last week we like it but i worry might be too big. me sorry very new to this so i do not know what sump mean or protein skimmer. from what read already i know two kind of aquarium glass or acrylic but which is better to start with?

I think first you should do lots of reading about saltwater aquariums and equipment. As far as glass or plastic. Its all just preference, nether is better.

Come up with a number in your head about what you want to spend on the complete set up and divide that number by 6. That amount should be your aquarium, the rest will be equipment and supplies to get it started. After you get your tank up and running you can then decide about live stock. What kind of tank do you want to have? Reef, fish with live rock, just coral, or just fish. There are different levels of maintenance required for each and that comes down to how much time you want to invest in this each day.

BTW if you have a 10X10 room a nice 9 foot tank would be sweet.

Welcome to RF. Craigslist will become your best friend. It will save you tons of money. Glass is very nice specially if you buy one during Petco's 1 dollar per gallon sale. Just be patient. I believe 40 breeder is perfect for your room with lots of room to grow and learn. Also i would really suggest start with softy tank. I know that is very tempting to jump right away to more harder corals because of color or maybe appearance, but this way you can use softy as your stepping stone to learning. There are lots of amazing tanks out there that are softy tanks. Then when you gain experience, say 2 years, then you can slowly acclimate yourself to more demanding corals. See its like a relationship, its the first few years that will either make or break you with this particular hobby. The patience, the cost and the discipline that will require you in order to keep these magnificent creatures.

so much information i read tonight. i think we going to look at 150 to 180 gallon glass tank. what type of protein skimmer does you use?

You can get tanks of any size and shape you want.
With all seriousness aside, a 40 would probably be a good size to start with it your wanting to go big. Unless you will have an aquarium maintenance company take care of your system. You can read all about it until your blue in the face but there is no replacement for experience in this hobby. You just need to get your hands wet. Its better to do that in a smaller setup in my opinion. I jumped into a 210 gallon tank. If I had to do it again knowing what I know now I would have started a smaller one first. It would have saved me a lot of time and money.

first off, here's a couple picture of a sump, which is just a smaller tank that sits in the stand of the aquarium that houses your protein skimmer, all other filtration, heater, and a small pump to pump the water back up to the tank...

20gnano021.jpg

tank038.jpg

as to which skimmer you should buy for your 150-180g display tank??
here are a couple options to look at...
SWC Xtreme 180 Cone Protein Skimmer SWC Xteme 180 cone protein skimmer [Xtreme 180 cone] - $374.99 : SWC - Salt Water Connection, Protein Skimmers, Calcium Reactors, Filters & Lights

ATI-0303 Premium Aquatics - ATI-0303

http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtue...s/64-atb/483-atb-840-v20-protein-skimmer.html

i also agree that starting off with a soft coral tank with just a few medium sized fish is the way to go...

and if i was to pick a size for you to start off with, i might suggest the most popular size aquarium in this industry, the 4'x2'x2' 120g.

and just a few things to think about,
you are going to want alot of flow for the main display, (30x-60x the total display volume)dont get talked into the plumbing nightmare of a closed loop for flow... you will want to stick with a couple powerheads like these:
T6085 Premium Aquatics - T6085
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ET-MP40WES.html

also, you will want a return pump for the sump that delivers between 3-5x the total volume of the display tank, so for a 120-150g tank, this pump would be perfect:
EHEIM1260 Premium Aquatics - EHEIM1260

and before you make any other purchases, i would suggest the following books:
BK-RS Premium Aquatics - BK-RS
BK-UMAB Premium Aquatics - BK-UMAB

Last edited:
thank you skimerwhisperer me will start reading. me might be overboard cuz so many nice big tanks we seen last weak

honestly, if you have the space and the budget, i'd say go with a larger system like the 120g-150g...
the trick is to make proper purchases the first time around, and to keep it simple because this is your first reef tank.
there is so much info we can slam onto you here it isnt funny. :)
your on the right track though, you've got the room picked out, the general size you desire, now i would say concentrate on what you want to look at in your system... and since you dont really know exactly what your going to be into yet, potentially think about designing a system that will allow you to accomodate most any corals.
and with fish, i would suggest avoiding big messy eaters for your first reef system, think of smaller or medium sized fish that are passive, highly colorful, not difficult to feed, and have interesting behavior.
also think about joining your local spokane reef club, which will be an excellent resource for info/livestock/used gear...

Last edited:
I'm going to have to agree with skimmerwhisperer and eww on the size of the tank.

I would say if you are just going to do this as "something new to try out" I would ask that you take some more time before you go out and set up a Marine tank. They take several hours of dedication each week. It's almost like a part time job during the first 3-6 months while the tank is maturing, cycling, and getting a cycle and routine figured out. I'm not trying to scare you away, just trying to save some lives of our ocean counterparts as a lot of the fish, coral, and invertabre we have in our tanks is still wild caught. Enough of my off topic rant... :D

I would highly recommend you determine what kind of tank you want as everyone else has suggested. If you want to go with a Fish only with Live Rock (FOWLR) tank, then what kind of fish do you want? Do you want a predator tank with triggers, lions, eels, and puffers? Do you want a peaceful tank? This list can go on and on forever before we even start asking what if any corals you'd like to add.

Do you want any Tangs? <---- If yes, because they are wonderful fish, I would look at getting a 6' or 8' long tank. From experience, I do not desire to own another tank that's over 24" tall. I would prefer more width than height as all my fish stay around the same depth when the swim around. On top of that, the wider your tank the more opportunities you will have for aquascaping. Down side to a wide tank, is that you will have to keep the water extra clean.

There are also different types of "centerpiece" fish that people will build their tank to cater that fish and the rest are just fillers to make the tank look full. One of these fish is a Blue spotted Jaw fish (BSJ). They are very pretty and cool fish. They require an aquarium with a deeper sand bed so they can build their burrows.

There are pros and cons to running a bare bottom tank (no sand), 1-2" of sand, or a Deep Sand Bed (DSB). It all really depends on how much time you're willing to put into your set up.

I would say it should be a requirement that you get a tank with internal overflows, or drill the tank. It makes everything a lot easier and there is less things to fail.

One thing is for certain with keeping a Marine Fish tank. You want 0 Nitrates, 0 ammonia, and 0 Nitrites detectable in your tank.

You can ask 20 different people that have successfully kept Marine tanks for 10 years each, and chances are each one will give you a different answer on how to get it done. Is anyone wrong, no, they are all successful doing it their way. Since there will be a lot of different opinions on what to do and how to get started, (as evident already by what size tank you should start off with :) ) just try to find what works for you, and stick with it.

I say you should start with a bigger tank for the following reasons:
You will not have to upgrade as soon.
It takes longer for something bad to happen
Big pretty tanks are breath taking
You can put more stuff in a bigger tank & keep bigger animals

The bads of big over a small tank.

Cost more (Aquarium, salt mixes, additives, lights, etc.)

The Main pro's and con's of acrylic vs. glass

Glass:
Heavy
Cheaper
Harder to scratch
Silicone can fail and cause leaks
No insulating characteristics

Acrylic (Plastic)
Lighter weight than glass
Supposedly stronger
Scratches super easy
Has a little bit of insulating characteristics.
BIG $$$ for a big Acrylic tank.

Hope this is helpful to you,

And WELCOME to Reef Frontiers.

Wow, you guys are pro's on advice :D
Nothing more I can add. I concur that a 120 is a great size tank to start with. Lots of aquascape room and cabinet space for sumps and equipment.

me saw a deep dimension tank 200 gallon tank pretty cheap. Are these ok tanks? it made by marineland. Is 200 gallon too big to start with?
what kind of lighting should me use? LED look good but me cannot afford them.

Deep tanks are harder to light. You will need more power to penetrate to the bottom. Also, its a pretty big tank. Might be hard to reach in for glass cleaning, etc.

Might be a bit big. What are you planning on using it for? Corals? Or just fish?

If just fish, lighting isn't really an issue.

me saw a deep dimension tank 200 gallon tank pretty cheap. Are these ok tanks? it made by marineland. Is 200 gallon too big to start with?
what kind of lighting should me use? LED look good but me cannot afford them.

Here is what I suggest. Start small. Ive been reefing since 84 and the my tank is just 75. Im not saying that you dont do 150 or 180, those are really nice tanks, but a big tank is nothing if you can afford to support it. If you cant afford LED then scale down... start small, learn a lot then upgrade to a bigger tank. A lot here start big then get burn financialy thus not enjoying the hobby. Just imagine this, this hobby is an expensive hobby like photography. If you think you want a 150 tank then multiply that cost to 10 then see if you can still afford it.

You have to consider...
Lighting
sump
skimmer
calcium reactor
kalk reactor
Salt
RODI
refractometer
tds meter

we are not even talking about corals here and live rock.

What say you?

for now we plan on keeping soft corals not trying to get anything that needs too much light. me local store say T-5 lights will work for us. how much rock do i need if me do a 200 gallon tank?

Back