High Ca & dKH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thuynh37

Hello,

I check my Ca & Alkalinity very high; Ca is 500 and dKH is 14. Should I need to do change water?

Thanks

Welcome to RF! Do you have any corals etc in there? I'm not sure if it will affect anything because I haven't even added my first coral yet and wouldn't know how they would react to things, but how are you supplementing alk and calcium? Depending on how quickly you want to bring it down if infact it can pose a problem, water changes seem like the quickest way, but if it is no major rush, I'd just hold back on whatever you are using to dose the tank and let it be used up by your tanks inhabitants until it gets down to where you want it and then resume your doseage from there paying careful attention to how much you need to cut back by. Just a thought...HTH and I hope you enjoy it here:)

Those are definately high levels but not lethal IMO. A small water change is always a good thing, otherwise I would let the tank level itself out. One potential fallout however could be your magnesium levels. With CA and ALK that high it may drive the mg down. Magnesium can be tested using a salifert test kit. It can be replaced with water changes and/or dosed as an additive.

I'm not rush at all, only 1 coral & some snails in my 80g tank. And I'll change water & let it fall down. That's all. Again, thank you for your help.

Back