high ph problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pasquale

I have had salt tanks for 20+Years but reef tanks for 6. Recently I have bought a digital Ph Meter and a kalk reactor. I had a bad cyano breakout and had to use chemiclean against my wishes but I was at the end of My rope. The ph in my tank soars over 8.5 to 8.6. At night down to 8.1. My ph meter has been checked for calibration numerous times in hope of a flaw. My fish are stressed now I have diatoms and hair algae. I stopped the kalk drip and still no change in Ph. Circulation In the tank is good, water changes biweekly, no help. Tested silicates,phosphates, all ok. I also cut down Photoperiod to 6Hours and no help. Any suggestions welcomed. Tank is 150 gal reef ready with turbo floater, phos reactor, kalk reacto Aquactinic 14 t5 fixture , 40 gallon sump. I run chemi pure in sump. Please help I feel like a moron:confused::

I know you've already done this, but I would have to assume calibration error on the meter. Have you tested with a kit instead.

Could it be a bad probe? What's the reading if you put the probe in the calibration fluid? What calibration fluid are you using?

Ph is a tad high, but not bad. It probably has little to do with your cyano or stressing fish. I would stop the kalk for now and the Ph should drop in time. If your reef tank has been up for 6 years, there may be a chance that your DSB (if you have one) is saturated and releasing phosphates. Your reactor is removing them from the water column so it's not apparant on the tests, but the cyano is loving it.

What do you think Boomer? Am I close?

Last edited:
No, I doubt his pH is causing any stress. I would worry about the after effects of the chemclean if he did not clean his tank after/during its use and do a water change. The dying cyano may be fueling the diatoms.

what do you use for make up and top off water...

how deep and old is your tank

explain "good flow"
what are the diamentions
how much Lr you have

just my thought would be like said, calibration error/poor flow, Ph4 in top off..

bi weekly could be soon as well.. but that will not help if your top off isnt clean

Thank you all for all the responses. I tested and found the alkalinity was low. I buffered the tank and It seems to be stabilizing the Ph. It is nice to know you are not alone in the hobby. Thanks again for the help, Pasquale

b4 u go off the deep end dumping buffers and stuff... why dont you get a feeling for what your tank does thur out the day normaly without buffer

Back