Hippo tang

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mercenary-grunt

Ok I will say I'm stupid so nobody else has to. I just bought a small hippo tang and put him in my tank w/o a quarantine tank. I checked him when I bought him and there were no signs of ich. With that said when he got in the tank I saw spots everywhere. I remembered then that this fish has a big probability of catching ich. And catching now is very hard since I have LR to hide the fish. What is the chance this is ich. My magnificent foxface was the same way and I took care of that a long time ago with a cleaner wrasse and 2 cleaner shrimp. My tank is a 180g fowlr. Any thoughts? I keep my salinity at about .22 - .23 ish.
Cleaner wrasse died long time ago.

Copper or hypo salinity

Garlic infused seaweed might build up the immune system and help it fight it on its own. I feed half a leaf twice a day and my purple tang has responded well to it. I have too many corals to drop the salinity and I refuse to use copper in my tank.

I am feeding a garlic infused algae. And run just above hypo salinity. And I have seahorses in a tank connected so I cant run copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypo salinity is significantly lower than where your at. Quick google and I come up with 1.010-1.013

bummer. having made this mistake before, what I would do is pull all fish from the tank and do hypo/QT and no fish in the tank for 8 weeks. That is pretty much the only way to guarantee you are ich-less. Garlic won't cure ich.

I have heard of this fish getting ich even after qt proved clean. Due to stress.
This is why I have not gotten this fish. Well till now cuz he was on sale and I forgot.

I have heard of this fish getting ich even after qt proved clean. Due to stress.
This is why I have not gotten this fish. Well till now cuz he was on sale and I forgot.

With my hippo (that i got rid of) I would end up running him through QT every time something would change in the tank... look at it funny and the hippo gets ich. In the end it came down to there is ich in the water of my tank, and I can not treat my main tank. I even ran my tank with no fish for 8 weeks and treated ALL fish with copper. 3 days after that whole process the hippo got ich. In the end what I would suggest is not what most people here will say. If the tang is eating well and seems to be going fine with no signs of breathing issues I would just let him work it out in the tank he is in now while supplementing garlic in the diet. Pickup a bottle of garlic extreme from petco or somewhere and add it in to you meaty foods.

Stress doesn't give the fish ICK, It may help it take over the fish but ICK is present in the main display if it catches it after a QT process. Don't believe all of the hype and fast cures, this is bogus.

Ok thanks for the thoughts. I'll leave it for now. Haven't seen it since I put him in but am waiting on the shy fish.

you havent seen it but it is still there..this means the first phase is complete, but dont get shocked when round 2 may be worse than round 1...not trying to scare you just inform you...

I figured out why I didn't see him. He was in the sump. But he's back in dt now.

As i watched my fish yesterday, I saw my hippo tang get sucked into my power head. He didn't all fit thankfully. His body was just big enough that it stopped him. Needless to say, two of my powerheads are turned off.

well???? how is the hippo tang doing? does it have any scares of the powerhead?

No. Swimming and eating still just fine. I haven't seen spots on him since his trip to the "dungeon". And found him surviving In barely any water. Hard life so far, I guess what doesn't kill him makes him stronger. But he's seemed to enjoy the tank since his return.
I have gotten the privilege to watch him eat so I believe were on a good track so far.... Now.

personally, i would dip your food in vitamins to maintain his color/immune system...

Back