Hmmm...is this a good idea or what???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcoomer

Who's your daddy?!?
I'm going to be moving from my 125 to a 180 next weekend and I was thinking about rounding up a few big rubbermaids but I think I've got an idea. Yep, I'm sure I've got one, good or bad. Excuse me while I pull the batteries out of the smoke detectors.

My new idea is to drain the 125 to the 180, move the 125 out to the garage close to the 180, then drain the 180 back to the 125 and leave the fish and corals in there with a heater and two Vortech's. Once the 180 is in place in the house I'll pump the 125 down to fill the new tank. If I do it this way I'll simply put a foam pad on the garage floor and put the 125 on that.

I'm going to put all the plumbing on the 180 prior to draining the 125 to make sure it works and doesn't leak. Once I get started with the move it should go pretty quickly. I would like to get the old tank out and the new one in place on the same day.

So, will this work? Am I oversimplifying this or overlooking something?

Thanks,
Mike

Is the 180 going in the same spot as the 125? If not, you could tear down the 125 in place and build the 180 in place. That way you are only moving things once. If they are, you could drain just enough water to move the 125 out to the middle of the room and setup the 180. I am lazy and wouldn't bother moving everything so much, especially since your going to do it in one day. :)

Wish that were the case 'cause I'm probably the laziest person I know but it's going in the same place. BTW...forgot to mention, the 125 is acrylic.

How about drain enough water to move it out a few feet, put water back in to cover everything. Then, setup the 180 in place and transfer everything over? I helped a friend move out his 90 gal due to a leak and it didn't take very long and was pretty easy. The biggest issue is finding enough temp storage for the water.

Hahaha I thought I smelled something burning!
Should work fine, no different than the rubbermaids.
Two thoughts: Damn, what is that beeping...
Are you using new sand?
Somewhere other than the 125-180-125-180 to put the fish so they are easy to catch the second time and will be less stressed, two moves rather than three.

That beeping was my phone...I was standing right behind you.

I can put the fish into the 20G that I have in the garage I suppose but I don't know if that won't be more stressful than moving them twice or not. I'll have to ponder this. I don't use sand so that's not an issue. Haven't you heard? Chicks dig bare bottoms!

Hahaha, whew, I thought it was the fire detector.
Oh, you're one of those guys...
I know, I know, lots of advantages.
But I like how the sand looks. I'm shallow that way!

Back