HOB Overflow and sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cyberdeth

So, if a guy had a sump rated for 700gph and a CPR HOB overflow rated for 800gph via siphon how would you do that? Would you just go with the higher gph rate when purchasing a pump?

doesnt matter... the only thing that matters is that you dont employ a return pump that will pump more than 700gph @ 4' of head.

just for the record, i personally dont go for more than 5x through the sump, more like 3x...it's a waste of watts to provide your sump with more flow than what the filters you employ require. most skimmers dont process more than 250-400gph of water, if they are pin/needle/mesh wheel, most media reactors dont want more than 100-150gph going through them, unless your doing bio pellets. it's a common mistake to attempt to use the sump return pump to provide the high flow the display tank requires. those watts should be used for in-tank flow.

arrggg.... i hate gettin rick rolled...lol
1 havz teh failz

^lulz...

My bad! I was going to change it after last weeks Tosh.0. It's all better now! Try again! ;)

So, if I use a 700gph return pump I don't need to restrict the output of the overflow?

I have none of this equipment. A friend has a sump he's thinking of trading me for some computer work. His tank was drilled. I was just seeing what I'd need to do to get it running. A Marineland model 2. Weird looking sump from all I've seen.

Last edited:
ur laboring under the delusion im gunna clik that link again. ...lol

well, the sump is the limiting factor, with a throughput of 700gph, a return pump that pumps like 700gph @ 4' is probably going to be like a 900gph pump @ 0'. but you probably dont even need 700gph.
what size tank is this??

ur laboring under the delusion im gunna clik that link again. ...lol

the overflow will only drain as much water as you are pumping back up from the sump, that is what determines how much water goes through the overflow.

in this case, the sump is the limiting factor, with a throughput of 700gph, a return pump that pumps like 700gph @ 4' is probably going to be like a 900gph pump @ 0'. but you probably dont even need 700gph.
what size tank is this for??

IMHO, when you install the sump and return pump you should also install a ball valve between the return pump and your display. By doing this you can throttle the return flow back to your display. If you don't need to throttle, then just leave the valve wide open. But, if your return pump is producing too much flow (either for your overflow to handle or just personal preference), then you can adjust to the flow that suits your needs easily.

HTH & good luck!

Rob

IMHO, when you install the sump and return pump you should also install a ball valve between the return pump and your display. By doing this you can throttle the return flow back to your display. If you don't need to throttle, then just leave the valve wide open. But, if your return pump is producing too much flow (either for your overflow to handle or just personal preference), then you can adjust to the flow that suits your needs easily.

HTH & good luck!

Rob

Thanks Rob!

What would you guys recommend for the return pump?

I got a 55G with 10G sump. I use Eshopps 300GPH Overflow Box and a Mag7 Return with a recirc to control the flow back to the DT. Most Pumps don't like restrictions so I made the recirc back to the begining of my sump. From the Pump back to the DT it starts as a 1.5" PVC the T's off into 2 3/4" pipes returning a nice gentle stream back to the top rear corners of my tank. I can control the flow to make it either gentle or turbulant by turning the recirc ball valve either open to slow it or closed to make it more turbulant.

O BTW, the MAG7 is 700GPH @ 0' of head and is roughly 400GPH @ 4' head so either way I am over powered by 100GPH but can control it and reduce it down to 300GPH for max circulation that the 300GPH Overflow box will allow.

Sump ended up being too long. Bummed! :(

too bad, sorry about the sump. You can probably get a used small tank cheap and just run the plumbing through the top. Baffles are easy to install (my pump just prang a leak,so I had to reinstall them. They were already cut, but just took an hour or so to put them back in, using a much better glue than the first install, called E6000.)

Lol, samwell... I couldn't help myself

The flow rate through the overflow is determined by the flow from the return pump. The CPR overflows have a max rating that should not be exceeded, but can be somewhat lower. Having a ball valve within the return line is a good idea for fine tuning the flow rate desired through your system.

If your sump was too long, check out the CPR CY192 to match up with the overflow. It is small and compact with a good filtration system.

The flow rate through the overflow is determined by the flow from the return pump. The CPR overflows have a max rating that should not be exceeded, but can be somewhat lower. Having a ball valve within the return line is a good idea for fine tuning the flow rate desired through your system.

If your sump was too long, check out the CPR CY192 to match up with the overflow. It is small and compact with a good filtration system.

Thanks! That one would work. Now I just need to find someone who has one that wants to trade for some computer work. :)

Back