HOB Skimmer options

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moortim

Mountain Goat
It has been a while since I have been around here and I need some advice. I am helping a friend setup a 55 gallon tank that has to have everything hob but I haven't looked at hob skimmers in a while. Are Remora's as hyped as they used to be or is there something new out that would work better? They aren't going to be very interested in moding anything but I might be able to play around with it myself if necessary. Mostly looking for a plug and play, low maintenance, easy to use skimmer but not a low quality one. The tank will probably have moderate bio load eventually.
Let me know.

Thanks,
Tim

You can also check out the Bermuda Aquatics Rogue. I have one on my 30-gallon montipora tank, but it should be able to handle a a 55 gallon, depending on the bioload and type of coral.

Gary

The only thing that seems kind of strange is that IIRC it has the same tank rating as the 300H. which makes me wonder what the 500L and the 800S are really rated too.

tom

as mentioned, i like the warner marine hob's ALOT!
they are inexpensive compared to the performance you get,
the octopus bh 800 is a good skimmer but it will have overflow issues, the pump being too powerful for the size neck it has...easy enough to de-tune a skimmer pump if needed, and it is a quiet pump that consumes low watts so i still like it as well.
even though coralvue stole this design from swc, then threw a sicce pump in it. the swc verion is the same with a less powerful pump more apropriately sized to the skimmer neck.

so for 55g, i'd say either the WM H2 hang on skimmer,
http://www.aquacave.com/warner-marine-h2-br-hang-on-back-hob-protein-br-skimmer-2340.html

or the SWC bh 500
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5

there's room to accomodate a heater and carbon in both skimmers, but i do like the WM design much better.

the cnc marine hob with the sicce pump was an awesome hang on, as it had a 3.5 neck, but sadly is no more... you have coralvue to thank for that...

I'd definately pass on the horrid foam cannon with the sicce. The wm is pretty tough. The swc 500 is nice, just don't like the pump. The cnc actually had a 3x5" oval neck : ) The rogue will work but it'll be a big pump in that 55g tank. I'd go with the wm myself.

Back