hooking canister filter to bulk head

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

125g

is this possible to do i was thinking of hooking up a canister filter to a bulk head taking water out out a tank and then return it through another bulk head?

You can do this...I did many years ago on a fish only system. The drawbacks to doing that IMO, were that when disconnecting the cannister filter for cleaning, water was lost, not much but when in a carpeted area, a little can be problematic, and two, the dog chewed through the return line, (the inlet/drain line was nice and low in the tank so as to maximize water turnover). This caused the entire tank to drain and killed all fish.

It can be done, but the real question is why would you want to?
If you've got a sump connected to your tank, you could just as easily hook up a HOB filter of whatever design you want. I ran a HOT Magnum 350 that way for a long time just to run carbon. It was easy to get to, and easy to maintain.

Nick

You can do this...I did many years ago on a fish only system. The drawbacks to doing that IMO, were that when disconnecting the cannister filter for cleaning, water was lost, not much but when in a carpeted area, a little can be problematic, and two, the dog chewed through the return line, (the inlet/drain line was nice and low in the tank so as to maximize water turnover). This caused the entire tank to drain and killed all fish.

It can be done, but the real question is why would you want to?
If you've got a sump connected to your tank, you could just as easily hook up a HOB filter of whatever design you want. I ran a HOT Magnum 350 that way for a long time just to run carbon. It was easy to get to, and easy to maintain.

Nick

i want to do it this way because it is a little breeder tank and it is drilled for four bulk heads and thought it would be easiest to do it this way since they are already there and though it would be a slick design and hidden plus its only about a twenty gallon tank

i want to do it this way because it is a little breeder tank and it is drilled for four bulk heads and thought it would be easiest to do it this way since they are already there and though it would be a slick design and hidden plus its only about a twenty gallon tank

and i dont think a sump is needed in what i am trying to do i am trying to have a nice sleek look no sand on the bottom one section of the tank will have lots of micro algae and just thinking about having a clown and an rbta what do you guys think

I think you should tank the intake and put it in a sump through the out take in the tank and let it overflow back to the sump this will increase oxygen exchange, and give you a greater volume of water. Hooking it right to the tank will work though, I'd fill it with some baseball sized pieces of live rock. Just my opinion though.

ditch the cannister completely.
get a rubbermaid container or used glass tank to use as a sump.

or, if the tank is not on a stand, then a hob skimmer w/ room for carbon.

but the cannister isnt doing squat for you unless you tear it all apart and wash it out to kill bacteria each week to stop nitrification.

Back