Hot Tub jets

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Echris

Has anyone used adjustable hot tub jets for sump return or CL outlets with any success? The ones that i have in mind rotate and are all plastic.

Eric

only thing that I might think would be a problem is a lot of those jets are designed to inject air if not I think that would work pretty darn good...

Shouldn't be to big of a problem if it doesn't have an external air source unless it needs the air to help it rotate?

Eric

Shouldn't be to big of a problem if it doesn't have an external air source unless it needs the air to help it rotate?

Eric

The ones in my hot tub rotate with the air blower turned off. They do slow way down and sometimes stop when the filter gets a little dirty. This would lead me to believe that they need alot of pressure or flow in order to keep rotating. I doubt a flow rated aquarium pump would do the job, may need a pressure pump. I doubt they would hold up to the Ca a coraline.

Don

I didn't think about the CA or coraline, I was more worried about algae growth stopping them. Maybe I will place one in an easy to reach spot and see what happens to it.

Thanks
Eric

i would think if they were to be used to adj to a special seting it would work ...but yeah keep us posted most of those pumps push 3000 gallons a minute in the bigger hot tubs...BUT it u can get your hands on the 3/4 inch back messag jet for the recliner seats these would have to work ,just be slowere rotation call POOLWORLD in spokane wa. the guy at the countryhomes blvd store, use to have a cold salt set up ..he understands the sickness,I think he is a tech there...509-466-8220

Just one thought.. The jets in my hot tub failed after a while (many years of use), which is not what I would be worried about, but when they came apart, they used steel ball bearings to support the inner part that spins. It was a pain to clean up out of the hot tub, so I can't imagine the fun of cleaning them up in a reef. But the bigger point is, I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting metal into a tank. I know its not copper or anything, but do you really want to take that chance ? So I would at least take a close look, or maybe break down one to check it out ?

Just a thought...

Back