How 2 install hose barb on ev 180?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I don't have this installed on my EV-180 but it may be some sort of John Guest Speedfit attachment.

The John Guest "Speedfit" fitting is a great feature you will only find on AquaC ozone-equipped skimmers. This fitting is standard on models EV-240 and above, and can be ordered on the EV-120/180 ($5.00 option). Aquarists may also connect their calcium reactor effluent line to the skimmer`s speedfit connection. The pH of a calcium reactor effluent typically falls between 6.5-6.9, and over time the addition of this low pH effluent can have a deleterious effect on the system`s pH level. By dosing your effluent directly into the skimmer, excess CO2 will be "blown off" into the atmosphere and the tank pH will remain unaffected.

Injector, Air Valve, and JG Speedfit fitting on an EV-240

EVJGfitting%20copy.jpg

If you don't get any other info in this thread, there's always:

If you have any questions about the JG 1/4in x 1/4in Stem - Hose Barb Adaptor - Gray or other Aquarium Supplies, please call us at 1-714-385-0080 or e-mail us at [email protected]

Good luck!

I'll be tagging along. I'm hoping to setup my EV-180 w/ a Mag 7 in the next few weeks. I bought it second hand a couple weeks ago.

I think Dennis is on track there because I had the EV120 and didn't have anything like that, but I see where it can be used with the higher models that have the john guest fittings:)

BTW, Check your thread in the water fountain Matt!:D

My skimmer doesnt have that extra fitting on it, I guess I could drill it in and use it for my reactor.

I am in all honesty very dissapointed in this ev 180 skimmer.
I cant turn the gate valve clock wise at all maybe 3/4 turn from wide open and it loses it bubble reaction. so the only way I can get the bubbles to work properly the water level is only 1/2' above the smoke colored acrylic.
I am using the mag 7 pump too..

Matt

I believe people are getting better results by using bigger pumps than a mag 7 on these Matt. I think the latest craze is the Eheim 1262 for the EV-180’s. Look deep into this thread for more info.
RC's AquaC Club

I believe people are getting better results by using bigger pumps than a mag 7 on these Matt. I think the latest craze is the Eheim 1262 for the EV-180’s. Look deep into this thread for more info.
RC's AquaC Club

I use a mag nine throttled back to about 7/8ths. One other thing to watch is the water level outside the skimmer. The water level should be just below the outlet gate valve opening, where it screws into the skimmer. I have a t fitting outlet valve on mine and not the 90*. This allows the water to exit on both ends vs. just one.

Additives and putting your hands in the tank will cause the bubbles to break down with the EV 180 too.

I was thinking about running this skimmer one a mag 950 as well, I did run it on a pcx30 pump with better results on another tank but that tank has a bit more waste in it because it is a FOWLR with aggreassive fish in it..

The best skimmer I have ever had or used is by far my Skimmer that was built by Tom (Bigt) it will produce 5 gallons per week of skimmate on my FOWLR tank.. (skimming wet)

Matt

I also think you do not want the water level as high in the skimmer. If you upsize the pump, you should get excellent skimmate with the water level about 1" lower.

my skimmer is on a stand external and it is about 6'' above the water level, so there is no back pressure...

Matt

I think I read somewhere, possibly in the manual, that it performs best when the water level in the sump is EQUAL to the top of the dark gray box. Also, if you can place it in a chamber in your sump where the water level is stable and doesn't fluctuate supposedly helps.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some more research before I set this boy up!

Good luck!

I think you read that wrong, Dennis. Think about it, if you did that the output opening of the skimmer would be under water...not good... lotta back pressure. I’m pretty sure what you read was referring to the water level in the skimmer. You don’t necessarily need to put the whole skimmer in the chamber. The pump feeding the skimmer would be good enough. The smaller the chamber the better and also have it being supplied with water coming from the surface of the main tank that it’s being used for. :)

I was thinking about running this skimmer one a mag 950 as well, I did run it on a pcx30 pump with better results on another tank but that tank has a bit more waste in it because it is a FOWLR with aggreassive fish in it..

The best skimmer I have ever had or used is by far my Skimmer that was built by Tom (Bigt) it will produce 5 gallons per week of skimmate on my FOWLR tank.. (skimming wet)

Matt

Ive got a pcx40 if you want to give it a shot. Its just collecting dust in my shop along with a bigt/iap skimmer.

Don

I think you read that wrong, Dennis. Think about it, if you did that the output opening of the skimmer would be under water...not good... lotta back pressure. I’m pretty sure what you read was referring to the water level in the skimmer. You don’t necessarily need to put the whole skimmer in the chamber. The pump feeding the skimmer would be good enough. The smaller the chamber the better and also have it being supplied with water coming from the surface of the main tank that it’s being used for. :)

Rob, you are correct. I think I'm going to go sit in the corner and just watch for a little while until I get a little more experience with that skimmer. I'm glad this thread came up though before I got my sump up and running! I also have an extra Mag 9.5 that I may try using on the EV-180 instead of my Mag 7.

How do y'all throttle the Mag 9.5 back? Gate valves? Or T-fitting with a gate on it to allow some water pressure back into the sump without all of it going into the skimmer?

Thanks...

Here's some info I found on another thread. Omar H from RC e-mailed AquaC for some help with his EV-180.

Here is the response Omar H got from Jason at AquaC.

Omar H's Questions:

..."The main problems are:

1. Every time food is introduced, foaming stops for approximately 6-7 hours.
2. Every time we cook in the house, foaming stops for approximately 2-3 hours (tank is about 20ft. from the stove).
3. If there is a crowd (that is more than 5 people) in the room, foaming stops and will not resume but after some hours after the room is alone.
4. Even when there is foam, it is extremely difficult to tune. Sometimes it just doesn't make it to the top and into the cup, as foam, and then at times it just overflows with water, not yellowish skimmate, just clear water. If I move anything in the output gate valve, or in the intake ball valve, the results change dramatically. I.e. from no foam to overflown with water."...

Jason w/ AquaC's answers:

..."In answer to your questions:

1. It is normal for the skimmer to stop foaming for a period of time after feeding the system - this is due to the oils and chemicals that are released into the water by the food and your hands. These oils affect the surface tension of the water, which prevents foam from forming. You are experiencing a much longer period than normal, however, and this could be due to the foods or additives you are using. Any chance you are using Selcon, Zoe, or a similar vitamin additive that might be very oily? Certain fish foods such as silversides, sardines and other oily substances can also have this effect.

2. It sounds like your skimmer is drawing in some oils from the kitchen - oils and chemicals often become aerosols and drift around your home during cooking, and if the skimmer is near the kitchen, it could be sucking in a lot of these compounds and this is also shutting the foam down. I've only noticed this effect when skimmers are located very close to the kitchen, and the only remedy I can think of would be to place some sort of intake filter over the air valve on your skimmer. Is it possible to run an air line from the skimmer's valve to an outside window for a fresh air source?

3. This is a strange one, and I would suspect that it has to do with the level of CO2 and other hases inside the room when you have a bunch of people in there. I haven't noticed this effect in my systems, but if you've seen it happen on several occasions, I wouldn't doubt that it could happen. The above solution would probably solve that problem.

It sounds to me that there are a bunch of different factors here that are constantly at play, and this is part of the reason why your skimmer has been difficult to tune. Narrowing down some of the problems and finding some solutions will no doubt get things under control...

A couple of other things to check: do you have the auto waste collector top packed with activated carbon? If so, you might try removing some of this or switching to a brand that has a larger granule size. If the air flow through the collector is impeded, it can have a negative effect on the skimmer's foaming and this would be making things harder to control.

Also, your skimmer set-up looks good except that there are two areas of concern: It appears as if the Sen is drawing water by siphoning water off the top of the tank, and I can't help but wonder if that flow into the pump is constant or whether it fluctuates? Do you ever notice that bubbles/air gets sucked into the pump? If the tank water level rises or falls at all, this would be placing varying amounts of pressure on the pump, which would thus influence the flow rate from the pump. Also, if the tank level fluctuates, the output from the skimmer might also be fluctuating since you have the return submerged without a siphon break. The combination of these two factors, along with the above, would certainly explain why the skimmer is so difficult to tune and why foaming is hard to control.

-------------

Jason Kim
President

AquaC, Inc.
9825 Carroll Center Rd., Ste. 400
San Diego, CA 92126

858-689-1121 customer service
858-564-3419 fax
www.proteinskimmer.com

AquaC Spray Injection Skimmers
U.S. Patents #6,156,209 & #6,436,295"

Just thought I would Update my progress with this EV 180..
I have since gave up on that peice of JUNK!
those skimmers are so far over rated..

Any ways here is a picture of my Replacment. as you can see if was very difficult to install in such a small area (hence) the reason I tried the EV 180 because of how small it was.

Thanks A ton for the skimmer and Pump DonW!!!!!

BTW the pictures were taken 5 minutes after starting the skimmer and it is already skimming...

Matt

this is custom built by Tom BigT for IAP (Inovative Aquarium Products) it is a beckett skimmer, and it is one skimming machine!!!
I have 2 of them.. the other runs my 100 in wall FOWLR

Matt

Back