How big will it get?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

littlefishy

I have discovered an 'Emerald' crab in my reef tank. It's body is about an inch across at the moment, how big will it get???
Thanks

Ive seen them as big as nearly 2" across. Make sure what you have is indeed a emerald and not just a look alike. Look at the tips of the claws......good crabs will have disks at the tips, for grabbing algae, instead of sharp jagged things for grabbing meat.

"It'll only get as big as the tank." Just kidding, don't ever believe that statement.

I've only seen them get 1" across on its body, but they're all different. I have two in my tank, one is 1" and the other is .5" and doesn't seem to get any bigger than that.

Here's something I've wondered about emerald crabs. I would assume they have to pop the bubble algae to eat it. So why don't we feel safe in popping it to take it out of our tanks? I have some in my tank now and I'm nervous about popping it. I don't have any emerald crabs...

Allegedly, popping them releases babies, oh well...
Pop away in my opinion. Used to have tons as in hundreds, perhaps 1000s. Now find one every other week. The fuge has had a large effect, but every day I see them munching away by scraping the rocks. Consider them friendly pets.

Ah, so if your fuge helped the situation, then they must be a sign of higher nutrient levels? I have been feeding the fish rather generously lately....don't want anyone to go hungry don't you know... :rolleyes:

Back