How can I do easier WC?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PR_Reefer

I have been :frusty: over water changes. Since my tank has a canopy and my water making station is on the basement I hate when the time for a water change come. This means I have to first turn off all pumps except powerheads, then proceed to drain 10-15% of the system and that is about 10-15G. Then get the water in buckets from my Water making station up the stairs make a few turns to arrive at the front of the tank. I'm using a mag 7 to fill the DT with the water I have in the buckets resulting in a sh.... ton of bubbles, water splashing and kicking up a lot of sand and other stuff. I'm using this pump because its the only one available at the time. Then repeat. Getting the water up the stairs is killing my back and I'm getting tired of this. Also im not doing water changes as often as I would want because of all the work.

I had an Idea of changing the mag 9.5 from my return for the 7. Make an adapter for the 9.5 to fit a pinky (finger) size line so I can run from my station to my tank for replenishing water and another one to syphon water out. But is there any type of equipment that you can turn on and simultaneously take water out and put water in (turning on the mag) withought to much work? Also the mag 9.5 will be great for this because the DT would be like 10 FT up and a couple of turns here and there so it wont have much preassure.

I'm just to tired of this and my back is mad hahahah. Just want to make it easier so I can enjoy more my tank. I hope you all understand what I tried to explain and what I want because I'm horrible explaning stuff. Thank You in advance.:wave:

Since I'm lazy I have a system that has been working very well for me. 90 gallon tank, 29 gallon sump. I mix my water in a big tub (will hold 15 gallons of water) and place this on a table or something elevated above the sump. I take one of my 5 gallon jugs, siphon out 5 gallons of water, then simply siphon the new water down into the sump.

The key here is 5 gallons doesn't involve much to do, and I can remove 5 gallons of water from the system without having to turn anything off. It's about a 15 minute process if I don't play around with anything else.

Been doing this once a week for about the last year.

Since your RO and make up water is in the basement I have to assume you have plumbing down there. Your idea seems about right but I'm not sure. Can you cut a hole the floor upstairs and run hoses/electrical cords into the basement to the make up water tank? If so, you could create a permanent siphon hose and valve to drain the sump to a sink or drain down stairs and then put the mag 9 into the new SW and have a remote switch to pump the water back up stairs.

I just change water 5 gallon at a time, but more often. I even mix in the five gallon buckets.

Sadly my sump isn't big enough to accommodate for a 5 gallon difference, So I usually siphon water into the sump while siphoning water out of the DT. Also my pump is sketchy so I am scared to turn off the main pump xP

Since your RO and make up water is in the basement I have to assume you have plumbing down there. Your idea seems about right but I'm not sure. Can you cut a hole the floor upstairs and run hoses/electrical cords into the basement to the make up water tank? If so, you could create a permanent siphon hose and valve to drain the sump to a sink or drain down stairs and then put the mag 9 into the new SW and have a remote switch to pump the water back up stairs.

I live on Fairchild afb base housing so I cant cut any holes on the floor or they will charge me the fix hahaha. I guess to make it easier on me I will have to start doing 5g water changes every week that totals to 20G a month, I think thats a good ammount. Some day when I get to own a house I will probably do my sump in the basement so I wont have to hear the return pump and with the sump down there will be easy to do WC.

My ro water goes into a 50 gallon tank in the garage. there is a sump pump in the tank that goes through the floor into a closet up stairs. Also a power cord with a switch. I pump the water into a 33 gal. rubbermaid trashcan on wheels. I mix the salt with a large submersible pump in the trash can. I have a second rubbermaid can on wheels. I siphon the old water into one can, then pump the new water into the tank with the submersible pump and a hose.I then pump the old water into the toilet with the same pump. It is as easy as I can get it.

Since your on the base and cant do major remodels. Id recommend looking into a litre meter or other type (Bulk reef supply has a nice one) of dosing pump, you can drill a couple small 1/4" holes for RO line near the base board like a cable line. Spackel will repair it when you leave. A dual dosing pump can do a several gallon a day or small WC for you. I've seen extremely nice large tanks that have changed only a gallon or two a day. NO MORE BUCKETS!

Since your on the base and cant do major remodels. Id recommend looking into a litre meter or other type (Bulk reef supply has a nice one) of dosing pump, you can drill a couple small 1/4" holes for RO line near the base board like a cable line. Spackel will repair it when you leave. A dual dosing pump can do a several gallon a day or small WC for you. I've seen extremely nice large tanks that have changed only a gallon or two a day. NO MORE BUCKETS!

I really like this idea. Im definitely going to do my research on these dosing pumps and see if its more beneficial compared to cost.

Back