How deep?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

depends on what look you are going for you don't have to have a sand bed but if you keep certian fish you will need one some wrasses and goby's and other sand dwelling fishes. but 2 inches can be good some fish need more then others

Cool , I have about 3" there now, just seemed deep. No water yet just sand and light, looks kinda pathetic, but I am getting there.

There is more to sand than what is living in the glass box. Sand like anything else serves a purpose besides a hme to sand dwellers. Three inches is pushing the boundary between shallow and deep sand beds. Id look at the differences between the two and make a informed decision prior to adding water.

Don

We have about a 2 to 2.5 inch sandbed in our 55 gallon. I would say your three inches is just fine, but I wouldn't put any more in. If you are planning on having any fish, some breeds move the sand where they want it, anyway. Our maroon clown has moved the sand out of the way of his anemone, and he's pretty much uncovered the bottom of the tank :p

Also...have you already put in your liverock? If not, keep in mind things may shift with gravity. I have heard horror stories of reefers who put their liverock on top of their sandbed, only to have it shift due to the weight and crack the bottom of the tank :-/ As long as you are aware of this, and are careful in your placement, you'll be just fine :)

Three inches is about where the hypoxic zones start to really take off. Depending on the tank and how much time you have for maintenance 3" may be to deep. Once it begins to to become a nice hypoxic zone the denitrifying bacteria take a good hold. If you stir that bed you may be asking for a nitrate explosion. You need to decide the purpose of the bed and how you intend to maintain it befor deciding on depth.

A SSB at 2" or less can be left alone and cleaned at will with little side affects. The deeper you get, you need to either leave it alone or keep it stiired and clean. Think ahead.

Don

DonW is right. Make sure to plan EVERYTHING (not just the sand) so that you are prepared for your livestock.

Back