How did this baby fish get into my display?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nana Chloropsis

I like to shine a flashlight around the tank after lights out. Tonight, after admiring the scoly's tentacles and looking around for 'pods, I saw a tiny flash of silver. NO WAY! Seriously, I thought I was seeing things or someone was pranking me. I have told everyone that I was not ever raising fry ever again, and I did not think that the two bangaii cardinals were a boy and a girl... they don't even LIKE each other! Upon closer inspection, yes, the boy is holding and they look about ready to swim (one one I netted out tonight was a swimmer, but got knocked around a bit in the powerheads, now is in a net pen in the sump). I haven't researched bangaii fry much, I was more of a clownfish raising nut, and darn IT! :eek:hwell: I am such a sucker for babies!

Congrats to you. We have had the same experience with our cardinals. We even had some make it to the sump on their own and survive all by themselves. One is now in our DT and another pair is in a friends tank. Good luck with your little ones.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am catching on to this Bangaii breeding thing, I think. Tonight I caught the male out of the display, since it was about 21 days after I estimated that he started "holding" and had quit eating. I lost all but three of the first batch since I had improvised a net pen in the sump for the initial grow out and it failed. I have 28 or 30 babies in the new pen and will keep them there for a few weeks before I introduce them to the 29 grow-out tank with the first brood. I will add pics as soon as I figure out how to attach one, motherhood is wrecking havoc on my brain tonight. :yawn:

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    87 KB
Last edited:
Newborn (new-spit?) net pen in sump, it's just a large green net sitting in the 'fuge with some rocks in it and a little eggcrate that lets the fry have some hiding security and also holds the net down. I added the styrofoam so if/when the sump level rises, so does the net pen. Learned this when I lost most of my last hatch.

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    48.3 KB
Very cool idea on the pen. Good luck with the babies.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Carol, how well are you set up for B Shrimp hatcheries? If you need any more, have some in garage collecting dust can loan you. Will have to swing over and check out the nursery if can get over my jealousy issues first...

Thanks Mike, I will take you up on that offer. :) I will start offering baby BS tomorrow and daily for about a week. Last time I had great luck in offering BS along with Reed Mariculture Otohime fry/weaning diet. I start with B-1 and soon go to B-2, then C-1 and 2. The "B" size seems to approximate BS and the "C" size is close to cyclopeeze. My goal is to get them off of live food asap, BS are such a pain and unless fresh hatched, not nutritionally sound. I will offer daily viewings for all, jealousy issues aside..... lol

Thanks, they are doing GREAT! I have transferred them all to my 29, both broods. The big guys are just over 3/4 of an inch now, and the little guys are 1/2 inch long. I love looking at the nursery tank, they are growing so fast and are so pretty at this age!

Ah, soon as my 2 fish are out of the mandatory qt period and added to the main, i think i'm gonna pick up a pair.

Back