How do I frag this coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
http://modelstation.smugmug.com/Animals/Aquarium/i-G4ZczLV/0/M/Aquarium-0538-M.jpg

Can anybody tell me how to frag this finger leather? It is the one in the upper left of the picture, I think it is called a loco lobo lobophytum, that as close as I could find. It's tan with gold colored polyps. I don't want to kill it and it is really a pretty coral. It is getting really big in my tank and I have to downsize it. It has a pretty good size trunk. Thanks for the help.

That is a pretty piece.
You know what I did, was got a pair of kitchen scissors. You know the kind you cut chicken with. They are very sharp and cut thru the leathers real easy. You can cut it anywhere. Everywhere it was cut, will grow new polyps and in a couple weeks you wont even know it was cut.
The pieces you cut off, you can rubberband, or tie down to pieces of rock. Try to get the cut part against the rock. They will attach themselves to the rock and continue growing.

Thats not a leather ...it's a fish and I wouldn't try to frag it....LOL. I heave used razor blades and utility knives to cut them. And as Ipisces said they will grow back really quick. You can also use thread and needle to put thread through them and tie them to a rock. Some take awhile to attach, but they will.

You can also use thread and needle to put thread through them and tie them to a rock. Some take awhile to attach, but they will.

Funny you suggested that, because thats what I do. Yes you can put a needle and thread thru the leather. I run the thread thru it 3-4 times and around the rock and tie it down. When the leather attaches itself, you can snip the thread and pull it right out.
A lot of people use rubberbands. I found that rubberbands can be too tight and cut right thru the leather.

looks like a few parts of the coral could be taken off with a nice new clean razor blade. cool wrasse

When you cut it, it may slime up quite a bit. Its usually best to do it outside of the tank and rinse it off in saltwater before puting it back in the tank. I usually do it during a water change. Your probably not going to cut enough to cause a lot of sliming. Just so your aware and it doesnt scare you. Sliming is normal.

Oh, I was a little scared about cutting my toadstool. I used a new razor when I did it. It was pretty easy. Dont be too worried about it.

Thanks Lorrie, I will expect the slime. I can remove that rock, I think, so that will work. I think I will wait though until I have somewhere for the fragged piece to go, I won't have anymore room in my tank.

Another option that I use with softies is bridal veil like material to hold them down - I have bad lug with rubberbands crushing the corals or having them slime out from under them.

Thanks, Aaron, I will try fragging it, I have to wait until I get some rock ruble to let them attach to after I frag it. Maybe after the holidays I will tackle that project.

You might find that they will "frag" themselves. I have watched them attach to a nearby rock and then eventually split in two.

Dave, this is the same one I got from you. He was just a little guy and now he has grown into the behemoth he is today. After the holidays I might get some LR ruble and frag him, but as of now I think I might just let him go, he seems to be happy. He inflates during the day and has all of these beautiful yellow polyps all over. He is a beautiful specimen.

http://modelstation.smugmug.com/Animals/Aquarium/i-G4ZczLV/0/M/Aquarium-0538-M.jpg

Can anybody tell me how to frag this finger leather? It is the one in the upper left of the picture, I think it is called a loco lobo lobophytum, that as close as I could find. It's tan with gold colored polyps. I don't want to kill it and it is really a pretty coral. It is getting really big in my tank and I have to downsize it. It has a pretty good size trunk. Thanks for the help.

This is whats worked for me.
How to frag corals (finger leather) - YouTube

Thanks DTECH07, I saw another video when I went to your link and that one showed the same one that I have being fragged. That makes me more comfortable if I should decide to frag it. I am going to have to do something eventually because it is getting quite large.

I figured it was the frag I gave you. They are quite robust growers. My biggest one used to drop babies like a cactus.

Anytime N1Husker:clap2: glad it helped, and its cool when you find the little babies around the tank that's popped off.

Back