How do I set up a quarantine tank "right"?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rocket

Tahoma
Could someone help me with a good way to set up a quarantine tank?
I’m new to the saltwater hobby and have a 75g with 65lbs of live rock. It’s about 2.5 months old. I had just added a couple fish in there but unfortunately one of them was sick I guess. I’m worried it was velvet as it wiped the fish out fast. One morning I woke up and the first fish was basically dead and by the time I knew what was going on the clown was very sick (white fuzz/slime on the scales and eyes of both fish) and didn’t make it through the night. I tried lowering the salinity but I couldn’t lower it fast enough I guess. So after that, I learned a valuable lesson, “ALWAYS quarantine anything wet!”:cry:
I got a good deal on a 10g with a heater and lights. What would be a good way to start the “cycle” process? I’ve read about adding sponges but my tank may be infected. So would a small piece of new cured rock from the LFS work?
How soon could I get some new fish into quarantine?:confused:
Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated!
Thanks, Nathan:)

I wanted to add that the 75g will be sitting fish-less for at least 30 days to clear out any parasites or diseases.
But it would be nice to have a couple fish to watch in the QT.:D

the display tank should go "fishless" for 6-8 weeks to be completely sure...4-6 weeks is the very minimum..also, you could use the prefilter sponges..they will need to be in the display tank for at least 2 weeks to get some bacteria growing on them..you could use a few pieces of scrap LR(small)..i have done this, but you will need to discard them afterwards..don't return them to the display tank...if you have a biowheel that you could put on your display for 2 weeks, you could then switch it over to the qt tank..

Back