• No Floating, just Drip Method

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • No Floating, just add water every 15-30 min

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Other (Add Below)

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

NaH2O

How do you generally acclimate corals? Choose from the poll options above, and if you select "Other", then please add below.

I aways float and drip. I use to float and add water every 10-15 but that was way to much work. IMO its better to drip anyway.

Brian

i put the baggy in my sump/tank and i just keep throw a little bit of water every 10-15 mins for about 2 hours.

Depends on where they come from...

If they are overnighted, then I will acclimate pretty slowly. If they took a 15-30 minute car ride from the LFS to the tank, then I am less concerned with acclimation (unless there is a huge differencein salinity).

I usually just take the Method that I have seen used by the Best LFS in the Area... Just unbox - unbag and toss the coral in the tank... Obviously its working for them... I have never had an Issue with it myself... however I usually toss them into my sump in the bags until I get things put away then I will open the up and toss them in... I have found I have less loss doing it this way than I have by acclimating them...

James

same as gabby almost

I used to be a float for temp then flat worm, and drop in tank.

I now float for temp ad a shot every 25 min for 2 hours then FWE then in the tanks.

spongebob lover said:
i put the baggy in my sump/tank and i just keep throw a little bit of water every 10-15 mins for about 2 hours.

I match temp and dump them in if the salinity is close. If they are coming from a bug infested source I treat with intercepter overnight. I always check very closely for bugs even from sources known to be bug free.

Ok here s the best way to acclimate all things salty. Take the bag that the coral o fish came in and do a ph, temp and salinity check. Then recreate those same parameters in a freshly made bucket of Salt water. Remove the critters and dump them straight into the bucket, from thier now start your temp/ph/salinity raising to match your tank.

This way you do a proper acclimation but get the critter out of a polluted bag of water. Of coarse if its just a frag from a buddy and a quick check then the bag method works fine.

Mike

I used to be a float for temp then flat worm, and drop in tank.

I now float for temp ad a shot every 25 min for 2 hours then FWE then in the tanks.

yuuhhuu :D .

Ok here s the best way to acclimate all things salty. Take the bag that the coral o fish came in and do a ph, temp and salinity check. Then recreate those same parameters in a freshly made bucket of Salt water. Remove the critters and dump them straight into the bucket, from thier now start your temp/ph/salinity raising to match your tank.

This way you do a proper acclimation but get the critter out of a polluted bag of water. Of coarse if its just a frag from a buddy and a quick check then the bag method works fine.

Thank you Mike :).

mojoreef said:

Mike

Ive been doing this since Mike explained it to me. The corals and fish seem to be happier right away after getting out of their own waste.

Don

mojoreef said:

Mike
how fast should you need to be to get their water to you tank specs..

daytonaconnecti said:
how fast should you need to be to get their water to you tank specs..

Do you mean how quickly should you get them out of the bag? What mojo is referring to, is taking a bucket of freshly made saltwater and recreating the bag parameters (pH, salinity, temp), and remove the coral and place in the bucket. Then acclimate it to your QT or display (whichever you choose).

i don't know if that's what he meant... but let's say it came in a bag with water parameters that are example: ph 8.0 and you got 8.4 in your tank, lower salinity and you got higher, how long do you start raising the water parameters in the bucket to the ones in your tank? i don't know if that makes sence :p.

what i ment was, after recreating the bag parameters you put them in the bucket, then what is the best way to get the water parameters in the bucket to match the ones in the display tank...

what i ment was, after recreating the bag parameters you put them in the bucket, then what is the best way to get the water parameters in the bucket to match the ones in the display tank...

yeah i thought that's what you meant, but my english is sometimes horrible :p .

daytonaconnecti said:

When I acclimate via the drip method, I usually go about an hour or more, depending on the livestock. Others people may go shorter or longer. Another thing to consider if you order livestock online...look to see what the vendor recommends for acclimation for their livestock guarantee (if they have one).

Back