How do you drip calcium - home made?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronone10

I want to start dripping calcium and I have some empty plastic bottles. My question is how do you adapt a drip system to a plastic container. I thought about cutting a hole in the cap and glue a hose to it and have a dripper on the other end. Sounds easy until it starts to leak.

What do you use? Thanks...

Last edited:
I used a 2.5g bucket dirlled out a hole about 2'' from the bottom of bucket big enough for a .25'' Jon Guest fitting. Make the hole a tad smaller than the fitting so that the fitting fits in there nice and tight. I then used silicone to seal both sides of the the fitting. I used a ridgid .25'' airline tube and a plastic air valve to control the drip rate. Voila that is how I dripped Kalk into my old 40b.

When I used to drip two part I used two aqualifter pumps one from each container of A and B solution that sucked the solution out of each. Each pumps outtake flow ml/min was regulated by a plastic needle valve. Each aqualifter was then plugged into an electronic timer switch one that can be controlled on and off by the min you can get these at Lowes. However many ml/min you wanted to dose was then regulated by how many min a day you set the timers at. Once I found my daily dose amounts I had mine dose a few min every couple hours to distribute the daily dose over the whole day.

What i did was purchased a replacement aquadoser hose kit and drilled a small hole into the side of my water container "about a half inch up. to keep the stuff that settles away" and super glued it in then but a nice ring of silicone on it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_AquaDoser_Replacement_Hose_Kit_Saltwater_Aquarium_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Replacement_Parts-Marine_Depot-MD4331-FIDPHS-vi.html

Thanks for the reply. I did look at the on Marine Depot before but didn't know how it would attach to my plastic bottles. Now I know.

I used a 2.5g bucket dirlled out a hole about 2'' from the bottom of bucket big enough for a .25'' Jon Guest fitting. Make the hole a tad smaller than the fitting so that the fitting fits in there nice and tight. I then used silicone to seal both sides of the the fitting. I used a ridgid .25'' airline tube and a plastic air valve to control the drip rate. Voila that is how I dripped Kalk into my old 40b.

I have some Jon Guest fittings but didn't think of doing it. Thanks...

When I used to drip two part I used two aqualifter pumps one from each container of A and B solution that sucked the solution out of each. Each pumps outtake flow ml/min was regulated by a plastic needle valve. Each aqualifter was then plugged into an electronic timer switch one that can be controlled on and off by the min you can get these at Lowes. However many ml/min you wanted to dose was then regulated by how many min a day you set the timers at. Once I found my daily dose amounts I had mine dose a few min every couple hours to distribute the daily dose over the whole day.

It so happens I have two aqualifters and ran a simple test as you described without the timers and it worked pretty good.

Question, do you know the exact timer from Lowes. I have never seen one that turned on and off by the minute. Thanks...

Back